HEDENHAM is a village and parish 3½ miles north-west from Bungay and 11 south-east from Norwich, 2½ from Ditchingham station, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay and Beccles county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich; a small stream flows through this parish. The church of St. Peter is a fine old flnt and rubble building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a square tower and south porch: it was thoroughly restored and re-seated with open oak benches in 1862 and 1863: the chief feature of the restoration is a new chancel arch in stone: there are several monments to the old families of Gurney and Bedingfield. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, tithe rent charge £458, with residence and 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of J. J. Bedingfield abd held since 1859 by the Rev. Robert Manning Marshall M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. The poor's land consists of 54 acres, a farm in the parish of Hempnall, let for $60 a year; also two cottages, which let for £9, which sum is applied for the use of the parish. On January 7th, 1858, in a field near the brick-kiln, a discovery of Roman pottery was made; two or three urns were found, but were injured by the men working in the ground; one of rather an interesting form was saved and bones were found inside. The Hall, an ancient brick edifice, is now tenanted by Mrs. Raikes. The trustees of F. W. Irby, who are lords of the manor and the trustees of J. J. Bedingfield are the principal landowners. The soil is clay, sand and gravel; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, clover and beans. The area is 1,773 acres; rateable value, £2,368; the population in 1881 was 281.
POST OFFICE.William Juby, receiver. Letters from Bungay arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Bungay is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School was built in 1874 by voluntary contributions & a government grant; number of children on an average about 53, & a Sunday school is also held
National, William Woodward, master
CARRIERs to Norwich and Bungay pass through daily: & to Halesworth & Norwich, wednesday & saturday
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2009; minor correction and links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hedenham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hedenham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page