HELHOUGHTON, 5 miles S.W. by W. of Fakenham, is a pleasant village and parish, with 74 houses, 348 souls, and 1,638 acres of land, chiefly belonging to Captain John Townshend, R.N. M.P., the lord of the manor, impropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the vicarage, valued in the King's book at £6 13s. 4d., and in 1831, at £258, with that of South Raynham annexed to it, in the incumbency of the Rev. H. T. Lee, M.A. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, consists of a nave, chancel and tower. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here ; and a National school, established in 1851, is attended by about 60 children. Captain John Townshend pays £6 14s. 8d. per annum alternately to the parishes of Helhoughton and West Raynham for the poor, as left by Lady Mary Townshend, in 1662. The poor have £3 6s. 8d. a year, left by Lady Jane Berkeley, in 1617 ; and 20 acres of wet peaty land, allotted at the enclosure in 1821, when 1a. 3r. was awarded to the church.Post Office at Geo. Booth's: Letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 4.30 p.m.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Helhoughton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Helhoughton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]