HELLESDON (or HELLESDEN) is a parish and station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, about 2 miles north-west from Norwich, and 115½ from London, lying in a vale on the verge of the Wensum, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, partly within the county of the city of Norwich. The village closely adjoins the city of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small structure of flint, in the Perpendicular style, with a wooden belfry and spire; it is square built, without a tower; the church was re-seated throughout with solid oak sittings and generally improved in 1869. The register dates from the year 1513. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Drayton, joint value £700, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1855 by the Rev. Canon Hinds Howell M.A. of Merton College, Oxford. The Rev. Charles Alexander Hope M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who resides at Aylsham road, Upper Hellesdon is curate in charge. The Norwich Lunatic Asylum, situated in the parish, is described under Norwich. The extensive brick works of Mr. C. Cunnell are in this parish; one of the kilns holds 250,000 bricks. The Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor. H. Berners, Charles Middleton, Robert Woodcock, J. Gurney, C. Cunnell and Harry Bullard esqrs. and the trustees of Mrs. Taylor, are the principal landowners. The soil is sand and ravel; subsoil, clay, limestone and gravel. The chief crops are of the usual kind, viz. wheat, oats, barley and turnips The area is 2,013 acres, divided in this way1,148 acres in the county and 865 in the hamlet; rateable value, £1,508; the population in 1881 was 338 for the whole parish.
POST OFFICE, Upper Hellesdon.Philip Howe, receiver. Letters are delivered from Norwich at 4.45 a.m. & 4.45 p.m. & are dispatched at 12.30 & 6.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Norwich. A Letter Box placed near the church is cleared at 11.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; sundays 6 p.m.
National School (erected in 1852), Miss Florence Baker, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
Hellesdon watermill and smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic church of St.Boniface and chapel of St.Paul [SimonKnott]
Hellesdon archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hellesdon Parish Council
More on Hellesdon [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page