HELLINGTON is a parish and village 6 miles south-east from Norwich in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. John the Baptist is a small building of flint, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, porch of considerable merit, and a tower which is round at the base and octagonal above: it has been restored (1883) by Cyrus Gillett esq. of Holverston Hall. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £123, with 12 acres of glebe. in the gift of Sir Charles H. Stuart Rich bart. and held since 1879 by the Rev. Richard Cooke Denny M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge; wo resides at Burgh Apton House, Norwich. There are several small bequests for benefit of the poor, the principal being those of Messrs. Cooke, Seaman and Barham. Sir C. H. S. Rich bart. who is lord of the manor, C. T. H. Gilbert, and Doughty's Hospital. Norwich, are the principal landowners. The soil is ,oxed; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots, &c. The area is 516 acres; rateable value, £816; the population in 1881 was 100.
Letters through Norwich. Brooke is the nearest money order office & telegraph station.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2009; spelling correction and links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK];
Hellington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hellington [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information on Hellington [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page