HEMPNALL is a parish and considerable village 4 miles south-east from Flordon station, 9 south from Norwich and 7 north-west from Bungay. in the Southern division of the county, Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient building of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and square embattled tower containing 1 bell and clock: the interior was thoroughly resored in 1857 at a cost of £1,400: the font is ancient. There are several tablets of the Rolfe and other families. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £370, in the gift of J. T. Mott esq. and held since 1852 by the Rev. George Thomas Hall B.A. of St. Peter's College, Cambridge; the glebe consists of 48½A. 0R. 10P.; the gross rent-charge isto the vicar, £388 5s.; to the impropriator of tithes, £611 15s. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The land belonging to the Feoffee trust is let for about £100 a year, which is apportioned as followsone fourth to the schools, one fourth to the repairs of the church, and the remaining two fourths to be expended on general parish purposes, subject to the approval of the Charity Commissioners. The poor's land allotment, £28 yearly, is principally applied in aid of the poor rates. A working men's club and reading room, established in 1879, is well supplied with newspapers and current literature; a bowling-green is attached. In June, 1854, in a field to the easy of the church, remains were found of an extensive burying ground of the British and Anglo-Roman period, with cinerary urns, burnt bones and ashes; the urns measued 14 inches in diameter, and have been placed in the British Museum. Fairs are held here on Whit-Monday and on the 11th December, yearly. Hempnall House is the residence of Thomas Nash Ward, esq. was was built by him in 1871: it is well situated, having a southern aspect, and is approached by two drives; the grounds are well laid out. The principal landowners are J. T. Mott, esq. who is lord of the manor, Thomas Nash Ward, esq. Mrs Ward, Mrs. Irby, Frederick Bateman esq. and Mr. William Kemp of Shipdham. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 3,572 acres; rateable value, £4,587; the population in 1881 was 886.
The school was erected in 1847, at a cost of £500, exclusive of the site, which was given by J. T. Mott esq. & has been enlarged to hold 190 children & transferred to the Hempnall School Board: a library is connected with the school & contains upwards of 500 books for the use of the parishioners. F. A. Hall, clerk to the Board, Hemopnall
Board School John Binley, master; Mrs. A. C. Binley, mistress. average attendance 100.
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.--James Leggett, wed. & sat
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK];
Hempnall early postmill, Mill Road tower mill, and postmill, Field Lane towermill, and Hempnall Green smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hempnall watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hempnall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hempnall [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page.