HEMPSTEAD is a parish on the sea-coast, 3 miles from Stalham station, 18 miles north-east from Norwich and 8 east from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of Happing, union of Smallburgh, county court district of North Walsham, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is an old building of flint and stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and low square tower with 3 bells, and was restored in 1879. The register dates from the year 1707. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Lessingham, joint yearly value £550, with about 72 acres of glebe, in the gift of King;s College, Cambridge, and held since 1876 by the Rev. John Eyre Yonge M.A. formerly fellow of tht college and rural dean of the division of Waxham deanery, The poor have pasture land here, and he benefit of some small charities. Mrs. Blake is lady of the manor. The principal landownes are George Ives and Thomas Worts esqrs. The soilis good mixed; subsoil, sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 907 acres; rateable value, £1,735; the population in 1991 was 155.
Letters through Norwich. Stalham is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School Board for the joint parishes of Hempstead, Eccles & Lessingham has been formed. The school is at Lessingham.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham (& Hempstead) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hempstead near Stalham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]