HEMPSTEAD, a parish, 3½ miles N.E. by E. of Stalham and 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, has 194 souls, 41 Houses, and 907 acres of land, exclusive of Eccles-by-the-Sea, which is united with it for the support of the poor. J. Blake, Esq. is the principal land owner and lord of the manor. The Church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 2s. 6d. and in 1831 at £542 with that of Lessingham annexed to it. The patronage is vested in King's College, Cambridge, and the Rev. E. Wilkins, M.A. is the incumbent. There are 47a. 3r. 34p. of glebe, and the tithes are commuted for £290 per annum. The Poor's Pasture comprises 9a. ; they have also the interest of £32, and a yearly rent of 3s. 4d. left by Mr. A. C. Grey.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham (& Hempstead) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hempstead near Stalham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]