HEMPSTEAD-by-HOLT is a parish about 2 miles south-east from Holt station, and 11 south-west from Cromer, in the northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building, and consists of nave, with a square brick tower containing 1 bell, and porch; the stained east window of two lights was inserted by a vicar as a memorial in 1876. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value £200, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are impropriators of the great tithes, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Charles Louis Rudd M.A. of Pembroke College, Oxford. A vicarage house in red brick was erected by public subscription on the glebe in the year 1876. John Henry Gurney esq. is lord of the manors of Hempstead, Netherhall and Losehall, and the Marchioness of Lothian, J. T. Mott and Hugh Rump esqrs. are chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,756 acres; rateable value, £2,063 and the population in 1881 was 264.
POST OFFICE.John Neal, receiver. Letters through Dereham, by messenger from Holt arrive at 7.45 a.m., dispatched at 4.20 p.m. No mail on sundays. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Holt.
An infant school of red brick, capable of holding 90 children was erected in 1877, & is supported by a voluntary rate; Miss E. M. L. Stanley, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hempstead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hempstead postmill, (early) postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hempstead-by-Holt [GENUKI-NFK
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page