HEMSBY (or HEMESBY) is a parish on the sea coast and a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 6½ miles north from Yarmouth and 21 from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, the incorporated hundreds and union of East and West Flegg, and Great Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Flegg and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a structure of stone, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel and nave, with a substantial tower and clock: the greater part of the building dates from about the middle of the fifteenth century: it was restored in 1868, at a cost of about £1.200, a large portion of which was contributed by Robert Copeman esq. The register dates from about the year 1556 and is in good preservation. The living is a vicarage, nett yearly value £175, with residence, in the gift of George Rickard Copeman esq. J.P. and held since 1864 by the Rev. Henry William Harden B.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge. Here are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels. Ten acres of land are in the hands of feoffees for the benefit of the poor, and the rent of an allotment of upwards of 15 acres, awarded at the enclosure and now letting for about £24 per annum, is distributed in coals. The Hall, the seat of George Rickard Copeman esq J.P. is a large red brick building with stone facings, situated in extensive grounds. George Rickard Copeman esq J.P. who is lord of the manor, Mrs. Clowes and Frank and Richard Clowes are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats &c. The area is 1,781A. 1R. 34P.; rateable value, £4,382; the population in 1881 was 648.
POST OFFICE.John Clarke, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive from Yarmouth.htm at 7/30 a.m.l dispatched at 6.30 p.m. The nerest money order office is at Ormesby & telegraph office at the station.
There is a National school for both sexes, built in 1841, at the sole expense of the late R. Copeman esq; Fredrick Brooks, master; Eleanor Brooke, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, March 2009; links updated December 2009; minor spelling corrections July 2014.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hemsby Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hemsby tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Council web-site
More on Hemsby [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page