HETHEL, 7 miles S.W. by S. of Norwich, has 27 scattered houses, 210 souls, and 1,414 acres of land, chiefly the property of H. Gurney, Esq. and Sir J. P. Boileau, who have manors here ; but part of the parish is in the manor of East Carlton-with-Hethel. In 1277, the owner of Curzon manor had to find oil for the lamps in the church and a certain quantity of bread for the poor. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £10. The Rev. John Henry Steward is patron and incumbent ; and has 60a. 1r. 39p. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £474 awarded in 1839, in lieu of tithes.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Bracon Ash (& Hethel) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
USAF Hethel, 1943-1945 USAAF Memorial Library] (Search on Hethel)
More on Hethel [GENUKI-NFK]