Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hethersett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hethersett early postmill, Great Melton road postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Village web-site
Hethersett Archive
More information on Hethersett [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Hethersett

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 341-342.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HETHERSETT is an extensive village and parish on the high road from London to Norwich, with a station on the Ely and Norwich railway, 120 miles from London, 4 north-east from Wymondham and 5 south-west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich.The church of St. Remegius, built about 1350, is a plain flint building in the Late Decorated style: it has chancel, nave, aisles, a square tower, small wooden spire, 5 bells, and a porch on the north side: it was re-seated in 1857, and the general body has since been restored, and the quasi-chancel was re-decorated in 1866, and the rest of the church in 1874: an organ was given by Henry Back esq.: in the south aisle is an altar-tomb of the 14th century, with effigies of Sir R. Berney and his wife, with two stained windows in memory of H. Back esq. and J. H. Browne esq. respectively. The register dates from the year 1616. The living is a rectory , with that of Canteloffe annexed, joint yearly value 700, with residence and 60 acres of glebe, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1856 by the Rev. William Reynolds Collett M.A. late fellow of that college and rural dean. The Baptists hold a service in the British school. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There are several donations bequeathed by different persons, amounting to 60 yearly, for the benefit of the poor of this parish, which are distributed chiefly in clothing. The Oak of Reformation, under which the two Ketts and their associates took a solemn oath in 1549 to reform the abuses of Church and State is still to be seen on the high road from Wymondham to Hethersett. In the year 1800 the common and village green were enclosed, and the parishioners claimed and obtained part of Wymondham common as being within this parish as proved by the fact that they had buried a dead man upon it. Thickthorn Hall or House is a moden residence, the property of the trustees of the late J. H. Gurney esq. and occupied by Frederick Elwin Watson esq. Hehersett Hall, the seat of Mrs. Henry Back, widow of Henry Back, esq. is a large modern mansion on the south side of the village, near the church: it is pleasantly situated in a park of about 60 aces. The Old Hall, the seat of John Alfred Back esq. was originally built about the 16th century, but was much enlarged in 1774, and has a fine avenue of chestnut trees. Elijah C. Bailey esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of J. H Gurney esq. Sir F. G. M. Boileau bart. D.L., J.P. also the trustees of Col.Charles Norgate, Mrs. Henry Back, William Henry Back esq. and John Alfred Back esq. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, hay and beetroot. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The area is 2,674 acres; rateable value, 6,521; and the population in 1881 was 1,123.


POST, & MONEY ORDER OFFICE, & Savings Bank.—Ames John Jarrett, postmaster. Letters received rom at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6.50 p.m.; on sundys at 10 a.m.; telegraph office at Wymondham

SCHOOLS:—
         British, Edwd. Beeby, master; Mrs. Caroline Beeby, mistress
         National (boys), Philip Rotherham, master; Mrs. Sarah Rotherham, mistress

Railway Station, George Reeve, station master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hethersett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hethersett early postmill, Great Melton road postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Village web-site
Hethersett Archive
More information on Hethersett [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]