HETHERSETT is a large, pleasant, but scattered village, 4½ miles W.S.W. of Norwich, containing in its parish 272 houses, 1209 inhabitants, and 2,635a. 0r. 28p. of fertile land, the principal owners of which are Thos. Black, R. H. Gurney, Geo. D. Sewell, and T. S. Northgate, Esqrs., Sir J. P. Boileau, the Misses Browne, and Mr. Benjamin Baker. There are several manors of Hethersett Woodall, belonging to Jas. Cuddon, Esq.; Hawkins, Cromwells, and Canteclose, the latter of which had anciently a church, (All Saints) and its site still is called the old churchyard. In the year 1800, the common and village green were enclosed, and the parishioners claimed and obtained part of Wymondham common, because they had buried a dead man found upon it ; after the parish officers had refused to inter him. Thickthorne House, a handsome mansion, built in 1812, near the site of the old hall, is the residence and property of R. H. Gurney, Esq. In this parish is a venerable oak tree, called the "Oak of Reformation," under which the two celebrated Ketts and their associates took a solemn oath to reform the abuses in church and state. The Church, dedicated to St. Remigius, contains some ancient memorials, and has a square tower and five bells. The rectory of Hethersett, with Canteclose, valued in the King's book at £8, and in 1831, at £670, is in the patronage of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. Jeremy Day, M.A. The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. A National school was built in 1817, and the British school established in 1852. Petty Sessions are held at the Queen's Head. Wm. Hughes left the dividends of £272 2s. 8d. three per cent. consols, for educating six poor children ; the yearly proceeds, £8 3s 4d. is paid to the master of the National school. John Rope, in 1658, bequeathed property to provide clothing for the poor, which now consists of the Queen's Head public house, a garden, and 3r. 35p. of land, let for £19 a year ; the amount is expended in coals. In 1710, W. Bokenham left a house and 5a. 1r. 5p. of land, now let for £18, which is expended in clothing for the poor, who have also the dividends of £100 three per cent. consols, left by John Corder, and of £133 7s. 6d. stock, left Hy. Harman, in 1815. Here is a Lodge of the M.U. of Odd fellows, and a Benefit Society at the King's Head. The Eastern Counties Railway have a station here, whence trains are despatched several times a day.
Post Office at the Queen's Head ; letters arrive at 10 a.m., and despatched at 5 p.m.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Norwich county court district
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hethersett Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hethersett early postmill, Great Melton road postmill and Mill Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More information on Hethersett [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]