1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Heydon Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Heydon Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
More on Heydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Heydon

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.342-3.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HEYDON is a parish and pleasant village about 6 miles west from Aylsham. 14 north-west-by-north from Norwich, 3 north-west from Cawston station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and docese of Norwich. Bluestone station on the Eastern and Midlands railway is situated on the eastern boundary of the parish. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a stately pile of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpedicular style, and has chancel, nave, aisles, north and south porches and lofty western tower containing a peal of 6 bells, and some stained glass: it contains several handsome monuments to the Bulwer family and also one to John Richardson esq. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Irmingland, joint yearly value about 400, with residence, in the gift of Col. W. E. G. Lytton Bulwer and held since 1861 by the Rev. George Shand M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. Heydon Hall, the seat of Col. William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulwer J.P. lord of the manor and chief landowner, is of red brick, in the Elizabethan style, dressed with stone, while on the stone balustrade which adorns the roof there are quaint and curious stone figures; above the doors are coats of arms; the mansion was enlarged and renovated in the year 1840; at the west side of the front entrace is a beautiful conservatory: the stables and other out offices are situated a short distance from the east end. The soil is sand and loam; subsoil, clay and gravel. The area is 1,942 acres; rateable value, 2,247; the population in 1881 was 217.


POST OFFICE—James Jon Skelt, receiver. Letters received through Norwich at 9.25 a.m.; dipatched at 2.30 p.m. Reepham is the nearest money order & telegraph offcie.

Here is a Parish school, supported by a voluntary rate & subscriptions, & which was built by the late William Earle Lytton Bulwer esq.; Mrs. Sabina Daverson, mistress

Bluestone station, John Outlaw, master

CARRIER—John Elke passes through Heydon, to & from Norwich, wed. & sat

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, December 2007; minor correction December 2009; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Heydon Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Heydon Church Architecture [Simon Knott]
More on Heydon [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page