Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1912 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hickling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hickling postmill, early postmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hickling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Hickling

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 490-491

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002.]

HICKLING, 3 miles E.S.E. of Stalham, and 18 miles N.E. by E. of Norwich, is a parish and scattered village, with 193 houses, 812 souls, and 4,373a. 1r. 36p. of land, of which nearly 2,000 are marshes ; and Hickling broad, an extensive lake, is about 3 miles in circumference. Nathl. Mickethwaite, Esq. is the lord of the manor, chief landowner, impropriator of the rectorial tithes, and patron of the vicarage ; valued in the King's book at £5 3s. 4d., augmented with £400, Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 private benefactions. The Rev. S. N. Mickethwaite, M.A. is the incumbent, and resides at the vicarage, a neat residence erected in 1849. The rectorial tithes are commuted for £814 and the vicarial for £344. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a handsome gothic edifice with a tower and five bells. About half-a-mile to the north, in the outbuildings of a farm house, are the remains of Hickling Priory, which was founded in 1185, by Theobald de Valoins, for canons, of the order of St. Austin, and granted at the dissolution to Sir W. Woodhouse. The last remaining window of the priory was taken down in 1825. Hickling had the grant of a fair from Henry III., "to be held for three days, on the vigil day, and the morrow of the Feast of All Saints," a pleasure fair is now held on April 23rd. In the parish are a Wesleyan and two Primitive Methodists chapels. In 1682, Jas. Chaloner left 10s. yearly to the poor, 2s. to the parish clerk, and £2 2s. to the vicar for a sermon. The poor's allotment, awarded in 1804, contains 83a. 2r. 30p. now let for £64 a year, which is distributed in coals, together with the interest of £106 which arose from the sale of two poor houses, in 1811. The rent of 5r. of land, called the Widow's acre, (£4) is divided among poor widows. The Rev. Jno. Wells, in 1803, left £250 three per cent. consols, for the education of poor children, for the dividends of which ten scholars are taught free. In the following DIRECTORY, those marked 1, are at Eastfield ; 2, Green ; 3, Heath ; 4, Hickling ; 5, Stubbs ; and 6, Winmore Hall.

Post Office at Jas. Neal's; letters arrive at 10•30, a.m., and are despatched at 2•15 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1912 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hickling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hickling postmill, early postmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hickling [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]