HILBOROUGH (or HILBURGH) is a parish and village on the high road from Brandon to Swaffham, about 7 miles west from Watton station and 6 south from Swaffham, in South Greenhoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints stands on a slight acclivity a short distance from The Hall; it is a very ancient edifice, built principally of flint, with stone quoins, in the Florid Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and tower containing 5 bells, with organ: the tower is square and well proportioned, with a small pinnacle at each corner: the church was restored in 1869. The register dates from 1562. The living is a rectory, yearly value £460, with good residence, in the gift of and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Burrough M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. Here are the ruins of a pilgrim's chapel. The poor have 6 acres of fen land for pasture; and a charity of £1 17s. year for clothing. Hilborough Hall, near the road side and in the centre of the village, but at present unoccupied, is a large and beautiful mansion, surrounded by plantations and an extensive park; it is the property of Joseph Trueman Mills esq. J.P. lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is a light loam, with a subsoil of gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasture. The number of acres is 3,093; rateable value, £2,614; the population in 1881 was 337.
POST OFFICE (Railway Sub Office). Letters should have R.S.O. Norfolk, added. Isaac Moore, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 2.0 am.; dispatched at 10.0 pm. Mundford is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
National School, Miss Annie Mercer, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, January 1999; links updated Movember 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hilborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
St. Margaret's chapel [Simon Knott]
Hilborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hilborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page