HILBOROUGH (or HILBURGH) is a parish and village on the high road from Brandon to Swaffham, about 6 miles west from Swaffham station on the Lynn and Norwich section of the London and North Eastern railway and about 7 miles west from Watton station, in the South Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham rural district and county court district, rural deanery of Swaffham, North division, archdeaconry of Lynn and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, standing on a slight acclivity a short distance from The Hall, is a very ancient edifice, built principally of flint, with stone quoins, in the Florid Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 5 bells; the chancel retains piscina and sedilia in the south side: the church was restored in 1869, and has 200 sittings, 100 being free. The register dates from 1562. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £308, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of John Charles Trueman Mills, esq. and held since 1902 by the Rev. George Bradshaw M.A. of Downing College, Cambridge. Here are the ruins of a Chantry dedicated to St. Margaret. The grandfather and father of Lord Nelson were sometime rectors of this parish. The poor have 6 acres of fen land for pasture and a charity of £1 17s. yearly for clothing. Hilborough Hall, standing near the road side and in the centre of the village, surrounded by plantations and an extensive park, is the property and residence of John Charles Trueman Mills esq. who is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is a light loam, with a subsoil of gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasture. The number of acres is 5,730; the population in 1931 was 303.
By the County of Norfolk Review Order , 1935, the civil parish of Bodney was added to this parish.
Post, T & T.E.D. Office. Letters should have Brandon, Suffolk, added. Mundford nearest M.O. office.
© Transcribed by R.C. Tuck for E.C.Apling and others, January 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hilborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
St. Margaret's chapel [Simon Knott]
Hilborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hilborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page