1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hilborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
St. Margaret's chapel [Simon Knott]
Hilborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hilborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hilborough

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, p. 730

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000]

HILBOROUGH, or Hilburgh, is a parish and pleasant village on the London road, 6 miles S. of Swaffham, comprising 366 inhabitants, 69 houses, and 2,807 acres of land, nearly all the property of Hy. B. Caldwell, Esq., the lord of the manor, who resides at the Hall, a square brick mansion, erected in 1779, and beautified with a well wooded park. The Church, dedicated to All Saints, has a handsome square tower, containing five bells. Over the west door are two effigies, one a man in armour, and the other a savage, bearing in his left hand a ragged staff, and in the other a man's head. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £13 6s. 8d., and in 1831 at £390, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. John Dolignon, M.A. In 1804 it was augmented with £200 Queen Anne's Bounty, and £200 given by the Rev. John Nelson, a late incumbent, and brother to the hero of the Nile. On the north-west side of the village are the remains of St. Margaret's Chapel, where pilgrims used to halt, on their way to Walsingham Abbey. It was a free chapel, endowed with 100a. of land, and was dissolved by Edward VI. The Church has 2a. of land, and the poor £1 17s. 6d. yearly, from land given by unknown donors. At the enclosure in 1769, 36a. was awarded to the poor to cut furze on, and 6a. for pasturage. Here is a school supported by H. B. Caldwell, Esq. Post Office at Wm. Sparkall's; letters arrive at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 7.45 p.m.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
Kelly's 1883 and 1937
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hilborough Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
St. Margaret's chapel [Simon Knott]
Hilborough watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hilborough [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page