1891Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Hilgay postmill, Ely Road smockmill and Ten Mile Bank smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hilgay Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hilgay [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Little Ouse
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hilgay

Francis White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk 1854, pp. 632-3.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February, 2001]

HILGAY, a parish and large well built village, 4 miles S. of Downham, has 1,710 inhabitants, 395 houses, and 7,583 acres of land, half of which is fen, now well drained, and forming part of the Great Bedford Level. W. L. Jones, Esq. and Mrs. Peel are considerable owners, but there are several other proprietors. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome edifice, with a brick tower, re-built of brick in 1794, and containing eight bells. The rectory valued in the King's book at £10, and now at £1,700, has 83a. of glebe, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. W. J. Parkes, M.A. A neat Chapel of Ease, about two miles from the Parish Church, will hold 150, was built in 1852, at the cost of £1,000, towards the expense of which the rector was a munificent contributor. The Rev. Wesley Farrer, M.A. is the curate. There are two Wesleyan, and two Primitive Methodist chapels, and Railway Stations on the Lynn and Ely lines. The Church Estate comprises two houses and 53a. 2r. of land, let for £111 a year. One of the houses and 11a. 2r. of land was left by the Rev. N. Spencer in 1701, subject to the yearly payments of 30s. among 15 poor persons ; and 20s. to the ringers. The TWO HUNDRED allotment contains 102a. supposed to have been awarded in the reign of Charles II ; and the POOR'S PARTS, 67a. supposed to have been partly given to the poor in exchange for other land, are let for about £130, of which about £33 is paid for drainage rates, the rent of 13a. 2r. paid to the National Schoolmaster for teaching poor children, and the residue is distributed among the aged poor. Thos. Power, in 1795, left 20s. a year for a distribution of bread. Post Office at Eliz. Mountseer's. Letters arrive at 8.15 a.m. and are despatched at 5.30 p.m.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, February 2001; links updated May 2010.

1891Census Names Index
Clackclose hundred
Downham Union
Kelly's 1883
Kelly's 1900 [Martin Edwards]
Hilgay postmill, Ely Road smockmill and Ten Mile Bank smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hilgay Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hilgay [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Little Ouse
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page