1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hillington watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hillington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hillington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hillington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 344-345.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HILLINGTON is a parish, pleasant village and station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 7 miles north-east from Lynn, on the Lynn and Fakenham and Wells road, in the Western division of the county, Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a plain building of stone, brick and flint in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave and tower: the tower and chancel are old, but the nave was rebuilt in 1824: it contains some ancient tombs, and an organ, built by Snetzler, in 1756, and some stained windows. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a rectory, value £449, with residence, and 48 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir W. H. B. ffolkes bart M.P. and held since 1853 by the Rev. Edward ffolkes M.A. of University College, Oxford. There are charities of about £21 yearly, and the interest of £156 to be distributed annually to poor widows. Sir William Hovell Brown folks bart D.L., J.P., M.P. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The Hall, a handsome and picturesque building, was erected in 1627, on the site of a house called the Grange; it was much enlarged and beautified by the last possessor: the style is Gothic, its material carr stone, with Ketton and sandstone dressings: the gardens are extensive: at the entrance to the park are the remains of four ancient crosses: a trout stream, which has been opened out into a serpentine lake, flows through the park of 250 acres. The soil is of a light nature; subsoil, chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, mangold-wurtzel and pasture. The area is 2,480 acres; rateable value £2,224; in 1881 the population was 285.

POST, MONEY ORDER TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Mrs. Blaxter, sub-postmistress. London & other letters are received through Lynn; arrive at 6 a.m. & 2.30 p.m. & are dispatched at 6.40 p.m.; on sunday dispatched at 3.50 p.m.

The Parochial School is a pretty building of red brick & carr stone, erected in 1855 by Sir W. J. H. Browne ffolkes Bart,; Mrs. Hannah Elizabeth Stibbon, mistress

Railway Station, Alfred Palmer Sayer, master

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hillington watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hillington Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hillington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page