1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hindingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hindringham postmill; Hindringham common postmill; The Knoll postmill; Lower Green postmill; Lower Green tower mill and upper tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hindringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] information
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hindringham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 345.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HINDRINGHAM is a straggling village and large parish about 4 miles east from Walsingham station, 7 south-east from Wells and 7 north-east from Fakenham, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham amd diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Martin is an ancient building, in the Perpendicular style: it has chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, and a lofty embattled tower containing 5 bells: there is a window in the chancel to commemorate the death of Captain Richard England of the 12th (East Suffolk) Regiment, who was killed in the massacre of Waiaru, New Zealand, June 17, 1843, and also the decease of his father, mother, and only sister: this window was the gift of his brother, the late Willam England M.D. Ipswich, A.D. 1862: in 1870 the chancel was rebuilt and the church partially restored: there are a piscina and hagioscope in the east end of the south aisle. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 322, with good residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1877 by the Rev. Thomas Edward Platten M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels here. The charities amount to about 94 yearly. Hindringham Hall is an ancient moated mansion, purchased, together with Field House, from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, by Edmund Plane Middleton esq. J.P.. The Dean and Chapter of Norwich, who are lords of the manor, Edmund Plane Middleton J.P. Edward B Soarke J.P. William George Waters J.P. Richard England J.P. J.'S. Scott J.P. esqrs. and Captain William George England R.N. are the principal landowners. The soil is heavy loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 3,313 acres; rateable value, 5,509; the population in 1881 was 538.


POST OFFICE.—Samuel Southgate, receiver. Letters received from New Walsingham (Railway Sub Office) at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m.; sundays arrive at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 10 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at New Walsingham

A National School for boys and girls is supported by a voluntary rate; Mrs. Mary Watts, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hindingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hindringham common postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hindringham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hindringham, The Knoll postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hindringham, Lower Green postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hindringham, Lower Green tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
Hindringham upper tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hindringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] information
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page