HINGHAM is a small market town and parish about 116 miles from London, 6 west from Wymondham and 3 south-west from Kimberley and Hardingham stations on the Dereham branch line, in the Southern division of the county, Forehoe hundred and union, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St Andrew, a noble edifice of stone, is a fine specimen of the Decorated style, it has chancel, nave, aisles, and a massive tower containing 8 bells: in the chancel is a stained window. placed there by John, first Lord Wodehouse, in 1813: the aisles are separated from the nave on either side by six arches: on the north side of the chancel is a lofty and highly-wrought monument to Thomas Lord Morley, Marshal of Ireland, who died in 1435; in the south aisle some fine cartoons were discovered in 1855, on scraping portions of the walls; the church interior has undergone various alterations and improvements during the past few years; a new organ was added in 1878 costing £550; in the same year a massive brass lectern was given by Lady Mary Currie; carved oak stalls were erected in the chancel, and a three-light window in the south wall of the chancel, which had been blocked up, was reopened and filled with stained glass: in the east and south aisle is a three-light stained window representing "The Sermon on the Mount;" it is in memory of Martin Baylie Darby, rector for nearly fifty years of the adjoining parish of Hackford and who resided at Hingham, and who died March 15th, 1880: the window was the gift of parishioners: in the south aisle are three two-light stained windows, one to the memory of Elizabeth Hodgson, who died 16th August 1859; another, representing St. Peter and St. Paul was erected to the memory of Edmond Williams West Clarke, a resident of Hingham who died 26th January, 1881; the other, representing an act of charity.is to the memory of Elizabeth Cockell, who died February 17th, 1879: the east end of the chancel has been raised and paved with marble mosaic work: in 1882 a handsome new 'Dorsal' or hanging, under the east window was put up; it is of red silk plush stamped with a pattern and has four 'Orphreys' or stripes of silk embroidered in gold color, two with corn and grapes and two with (conventional) roses, the whole at the expense of the rector. The register dates from the year 1601. The living is a rectory, yearly value, £1,260, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Kimberley, and held since 1873 by the Rev. Maynard Wodehouse Currie M.A.of Trinity College, Cambridge, rural dean. The Rev. Robert Peck M.A. formerly rector of this parish, was a man of violently schismatic temper, who pulled down the rails, and levelled the altar and the whole chancel a foot below the church (since raised two steps); but being prosecuted for it by Bishop Wren, he fled the kingdom, and went over to New England, with many of his parishioners, who sold their estates for half their value, and conveying all their effects to that new plantation, erected a town and colony in the name of Hingham, where many of their posterity still remain: hearing that the bishops were deposed, he left the place, and came back to Hingham in the year 1646, after ten years voluntary banishment, resumed his rectory, and died in the year 1656. Here is a Congregational chapel, and one belonging to the Primitive Methodists. The fuel allotment of 34 acres produces £24 yearly, which is distributed among the resident poor of the parish in coals; and charities producing £41 13s. 11d. yearly are distributed in bread to the poor. The Market day is Tuesday. Hingham Hall, the seat of Rawdon Hunter-Muskett, esq. J.P. is a large handsome brick mansion, standing in a well-wooded demesne of about 50 acres. The Earl of Kimberley is lord of the manor and chief landowner. Mrs. Hurnard is lady of the manor of the Hingham Gurneys. The soil is of a mixed nature; subsoil, clay and brick earth. The chief crops are turnips, barley, wheat and mangolds. The parish consists of 3,645 acres; rateable value £9,000; the population in 1881 was 1,554.
POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank: Thomas Kingaby, receiver. Letters are received from Attleborough at 5.15 a.m. dispatch at 8.15 p.m. Box closes at 8 p.m. Savings bank business transacted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Assistant Overseer, William Newson.
An Endowed school was founded & handsomely endowed in 1727 by William Parlett, esq.; the income now amounts to about £200 yearly. By a new scheme, approved May, 1883, by the Privy Council, the school is called Hingham Endowed School, & the present head master is still to hold the appointment. The governing body consists of ten persons, of whom three are co-optative; three scholarships of not less than £8 or more than £10 are available for boys from the elementary schools of Hingham, Woodrising and South Burgh. A sum of £60 will be applied to establishing & maintaining exhibitions tenable at a school of a higher grade for boys who have been at this school for not less than three years. The old National school is now used as a sunday school. Thomas Spencer Turner, head master; Arthur George Turner B.A. second master
Board School, opened in 1875 for 275 children; average attendance 243; Charles John King, master; Mrs. Elizabeth King, mistress; Miss Harriet Pottle, infants'mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH: John Laskey, mon. wed. & sat. returning same days; John Risebrook, tues. thurs. & sat
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, December 1988; links updated May 2014.
1891 Census Names Index
Brief history of Hingham
Blomfield, 1739 on Hingham
Universal British directory 1793
Pigot's 1830 [GENUKI-NFK]
1831 Lewis's Topographical Dictionary [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK] (search for "Hingham")
Hingham watermill; Mill Corner tower mill; early postmill; Deopham Road postmill and towermill; and Hardingham Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hingham History Centre
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Local Web-site Pictures, maps, events, etc
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page