1891 Census Names Index
Brief history of Hingham
1793 Universal British directory and White's 1845, 1854, 1883, and Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Hingham watermill; Mill Corner tower mill; early postmill; Deopham Road postmill" and towermill; and Hardingham Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Local Web-site Pictures, maps, events, etc
American Connection
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hingham

Francis Blomfield: An ESSAY Towards a Topographical HISTORY of the COUNTY of NORFOLK, Volume I, CONTAINING the HUNDREDS of DISS, GILTCROSS, SHROPHAM, the BURGH of THETFORD, GRIMESHOE, WAYLAND and FOREHOE. Printed at Fersfield in the Year of Our Lord, MDCCXXXIX, pp. 666-681.

[Complete chapter. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, July, 2005]

H I N G H A M.

HINGHAM was the head Town of the Deanry, and at first contained 43 Parishes, was taxed at 30s, and 'twas in the Bishop's Collation.

D E A N S.

The Church is a good Pile, the Tower being very tall and large, the whole rebuilt by Remigius de Hethersete Rector here, in the time of King Edward the III. with the assistance of John le Marshal his Patron, who contributed much to the perfecting of the Work; it is dedicated to St. ANDREW the Apostle, and had several Chapels in it, of which, the most remarkable were at the Ends of each Isle, that on the North side, being dedicated to the Holy-Trinity, and that on the South side to the Holy-Virgin, the others dedicated to St. Nicholas, the Nativity of the Virgin, and to her Assumption, there was also a St. Mary's Chapel by the Rood Altar, and another of St. Mary of Pity. and there was no less than seven GILDS held in the Church, viz. of Saint James, Corpus Christi, St. Andrew, Holy-Cross, All-Saints, Saint John Baptist, and St. Mary, and each having a stipendiiary Chaplain, serving at their Altars in the Church, constituted a Choir, for in 1484, [g] Robert Morley Esq. of this town, was buried in the Church, and gave seven Surplices to the Quire of Hingham; and without doubt this Church must make a fine Appearance in those Times, it being adorned with the following Images, all which had Lights, either Lamps, Wax Tapers, or Candles, constantly burning before them in Time of Divine Service, and being dispersed all over the Church, Chancel and Chapels, must make it in the Night Season a fine Sight; the Principal-Image, of St. Andrew stood, (as the Principal-Image or Patron Saint of every Church did) in the Chancel, on the N. side of the Altar, and those of St. Peter, St. Michael, St. Mary, Corpus Christi, St. Margaret, St. Christin, St. Edith or Sythe, St. Mary of Pity, St. Thomas, the Nativity and Assumption of the Holy-Virgin, St. Wulstan, St. Appolonia, St. Christopher, St. Erasmus, St. Julian, St. Anthony, St. John Baptist, St. Nicholas, the Holy-Trinity, St. Edmund, St. Laurence, St. Catherine, St. John the Evangelist, St. Valentine, St. Etheldred, and the Holy-Rood or Cross, which stood on the [h] Rood-Loft, between the church and Chancel.

When Norwich Domesday was wrote, the Patronage was late Sir John Marshal's but then the Lord Morley's; the Rector had a [i] noble House, and 20 Acres of Ground, the Living being valued at 50 Marks, it stands in the King's Books at 24 l. 18 s, 4 d, and pays 2 l. 8 d. and Peter-Pence 1 s. 2 d. ob. The Town paid 7 l. each Tenth.

R E C T O R S.

I find the following Persons buried here, for whom there are now no Memorials remaining. The Church, Chancel, two Isles and square Tower, are covered with Lead; there is a Clock, and six large Bells, the North Vestry is down.

At the West End of the Church, there lies a Stone, plated with Bras, from which the Effigies of a Man and Woman are town off, but that of their Son remains, and this,

Obit 25 Februarij }{ Obijt 20 Marcij
Anno Domini 1622   }{ Anno Domini 1615
Anno Ætatis suæ 69o }{ Anno Ætatis suæ 66

In the Middle Isle lies a Stone for, Elizabeth Wife of Stephen Baldwin, who died Aug. 20. 1709, aged 46.

On a Mural Monument in the North Isle.
M.S.

Obijt Sept. 28, Anno } Domini 1709
                             } Ætatis 69.

On his Gravestone.

In the East Window of the Trinity Chapel are the Arms of Lord Morley, and Arg. on a Chev. Gul. between 3 Lions Heads erased S. 3 Bezants. The Tradition is, that this Chapel was made by the Maidens of the Town, and that this Window was glazed at their Cost, which seems very improbable by the Arms, and the following fragment of an Inscription now remaining,

This Window ys y mad = = . = = = = . = = = = = = = = = = = = = Hengham = = = = . =

On a Bras Plate in the Chancel.

On a Mural Monument on the North Side of the Chancel.

GARY or GEERE, Gul. 2 Barrs Or. or sometimes Arg, on a Canton Az. a Leopard's Face Or.
NEGUS, Erm. on a Chief Nebulee Az. 3 Escalops Or.
On a Free-Stone under it. Hic jacent supradictæ Eliza: Negus & Anna Wright.

On a flat Marble.

AMYAS, Arg. a Boars Head cooped, between 3 Croslets fitchee Sab.
Crest, a Staggs head erased.

On the Font is this Greek Anagram.

NIΨON ANOMHMA ME MONAN OΨIN.

On the North Side of the Chancel is a noble Monument against the Wall, reaching from the Floor to the Roof, it is of Stone, imbellished with Imagery and Gothick Work, and formerly with many Brass Plates, all of which are pulled off; the following Arms are still remaining, which show me plainly to whose Memory it was erected, viz. Lord Morley, impaling Marshal, Bourchier, Hastings, Molins, and De la Pole quartering Wingfield; the two last of which quarter'd, impales a Chev'ron.

The Arms of Morley and Marshal are often single, and the former sometimes with differences.
MORLEY, impales Arg. 6 Crowns S. and also G. a Bend Ar. quarters Hastyngs.

From which it is plain that the Tomb was erected to the Memory of Thomas Lord Morley, who died about 1435, leaving Isabel Daughter of Michael de la Pole Earl of Suffolk, his widow, who died in 1466, and was buried in the Chancel by her Husband, as her Wll, which is to be seen in Register Jekky's fo. 50, informs me, from which I transcribed the following Account.

1464, Dame Isabell Widow Lady Morley, made her Will in her House in St. Peters Mancroft in Norwich, and was buried in the Chancel at Hingham, before the Image of St. Andrew, by her Lord her Husband. She ordered if she died in Norwich, that her Body should be carried to the Chapel of St. Mary in the Fields, and a Mass said for her, and then to be carried to Hingham, with 15 Torches born before her by 15 of her poor Tenants in black Gowns, and also five poor Women in black, shall bear each a Taper of 2 l. weight and place them before the Sacrament by her Grave, there to remain 'till they be burnt up. Every Priest at her Mass of Requiem to have 4 d. and every Clerk 2 d. she gave to St. Peter of Mancroft's Altar 6 s. 8 d. to repair the Church 40 s. to sustain the Holy Mass of Jesus 13 s. 4 d. to Chapel-Field high Altar 20 s, to the high Altar at Hingham 6 s. 8 d. to repair the Church 40 s. more, and a Tablet of Gold garnished with Perle, containing certain Reliques, with a Berill in the same Tablet, with two Images, one of the Resurrection, and the other of our Lady, and the longest Carpet with white Flowers to lye before the high Altar, to her Sister Dame Katerine Abbess of Berkyng 10 Marks, and Legacies to the high Altars and her poor tenants of Aldby, Buxton, the Gild of St. Andrew in Buxton, of which she was a Sister, Swanton, Worthing, Folsham. Bintre, Hokeryng, Mateshale, Matesgale-Bergh, Tudenham and Hingham, and also Legacies to John Hastyng her Son in Law, and Anne his Wife her Daughter, among which a Diaper Towell 18 yards long, with gifts to Isabell Boswel Daughter of the said Anne, Elizabeth Sister to Isabell, Dame Eleanor her Grandaughter, the Lady Morley, Dame Catherine Stapleton, Elizabeth Morley, Edward Bokenham, Sir William Strather her Chaplain, Edward Harsick Gent. &c. all the Prisoners in the Castle and Gild Hall that lie there for their Fees only, to be discharged by her Gift; she gave Money to Dame Julian Anchoress at Carrowe, and Dame Agnes Anchoress at St. Julian's in Cunsford, besides 53 l. 6 s. 8 d. to be paid as long as it lasts in a Stipend for a Priest to pray for her and her Lord in Hingham Church, John Heydon to be Counsellor to her Executors, John Hastyng her Son, Edward Bokenham, Sir William Strather Priest, and Godfrey Joye Alderman of Norwich were Executors, her Nephew John Duke of Suffolk was Supervisor, who was to see a whole Vestment of black Velvet given to Swanton-Morley Church.

It was [r] proved at before William Pykenham LL. D. the Bishop's Official 1466, 28 February.

The Arms of Mowbray, Brotherton &c. were in the Windows of the Church, but are all gone.

In Gilt Letters on the Pulpit.

There was an ancient Family of the Coopers here, Robert Cooper owned a considerable Estate in 1382, in 1701, Feb. 7. Elias Cooper Gent. obtained a Faculty for a Seat in this Church.

This Town belonged to King [s] ATHELSTAN, and contained 60 Carucates or Hides of Land, all which he gave to

ATHELWOLD, Bishop of Winchester, about the Year 960, and that Bishop exchanged it with King

EDGAR, for 40 Hides and an half, which is now called St. Etheldred's or St. Audries Liberty, and so Hingham came to the Crown again, and continued there some Time, for at the Confessor's Survey, that PRINCE held it, and had two Carucates and 25 Acres in Demean, 60 Villains, 18 Bordars &c. His Tenants had 15 Carucates among them; the whole was then of the Value of 7 l. 10 s. a Year, besides Rents to the Value of 30 s. a Year, and three Sextaries of Honey; it remained in the Crown 'till the

CONQUEROR'S Survey, when the same quantity of land was held in Demean, but the Bordars were increased to 29, and the Value to 13 l. 10 s. besides the Honey-Rent, it was half a League long, and as much broad, and paid 13 d. ob. Geld. It extended into Kimberley &c, and the Soke or Jurisdiction of the Hundred which belonged to this Manor, went over the Towns of Hingham, Kimberley in part, Carleton, Depham, half Barford, Bernham, Morley and Wicklewood in part, besides several other places as we learn from Domsday.

Feorhou H, t. dim: (Domsday fo. 4.)

HINCHAM tenuit Rex. E. ii Car. terre t xxv Acz, temper lx Will: tunc xviii Bozd: & dim: mo xx. De reliqui habet Will: de Warenna xii & comes Alanus iii. et Eudo Filius Clama hoc ide accep: viiio quos modo habet Radulius de Bellafago, & illi viginti habent i Caz: terre. et usus er eis habet iii Bozd. temper ii Caz: & viii Acz: prati. Totum valuit tunc, vii li: & dim: Blancas cum confuetudine xxx Sol. & iii Sertarios Nellis: mo xii li. ad pentum, & xxx Sol: de Gertuma, & iii Sertarios Nellis cum eadem consuetudine. & habet dim: [Leug:] in logo, & dim. in lato, & xiii dei: & i obolum de Gelto
Invasio Baignardi (Domsday fo. 297) Feorhou P. In HINCHAM. xvii liberi homines, tenet Baignardus, de quibus suus Anticelloz nec commendationem hibuit &c.

King [ t] STEPHEN granted this Manor and Hundred and half, and all their Appendages, with the Towns of Stow, Chircheby or Kirkby, Racheda or Rackheith, and Herleham or Erlham, and the Hundred of Taverham, to

WILLIAM DE CAINEIO or Cheney, and his Heirs, in exchange for Moleham, on Condition that if he or his Son should like Moleham better, they might renounce it, [u] which they afterwards did, and so it vested in the Crown again, and the same King lett it to Farm to

HENRY DE RYE, Son of Hubert de Rye, Castellan of Norwich, who was second Son of that Hubert de Rye, who came with the Conqueror.

In 1195, WILLIAM DE ECCLESIA SANCTE MARIE, renderedan Account to King Richard I. of the Farm of Heingham, which

CARDO DE FRESHAVILE then farmed, and paid for it 25 l. 7 s. 6 d. it being granted to him by Richard I. when [x] he came to the Crown: In this King's Time we meet with several Persons that paid the Farm to the King for this Manor, as Hubert de Burgh, Ralf de Camois, Roger Fitz William &c. but they had no Fee in it; another Record tells us that Henry II. gave the Church to John de Bridport, [y] and after that, King John gave it his Son for Life, and then it was to go with the Manor and Hundred to

JOHN LE MARSHALL. [z] This Town was always reputed the head of the Barony of RYE, ever since its first Grant to Henry de Rye aforesaid, and was always acknowledged as such, by those who farmed it; after the Death of Henry de Rye, Hubert de Rye had the Barony, but the Manor then belonged to

HUGH GOURNAY, a noble Baron, [a] who was made Captain of Castle GALLIARD, (which being built on a high Rock over the Seyne, which Richard I. had made impregnable) he defended it nobly for 6 Months, against Philip King of France, doing him daily Damage, for which reason King John suspected him not, yet at last he escaped not the Blemish of Ingratitude and Infidelity, for he not only yielded up that Castle to his Enemies, but secretly in the Night brought them into the Castle of Montfort, which he betrayed unto them, not weighing his faith to his Liege Lord, who had given him the Castle with the Honour, and all the Demeans thereto belonging, upon which he was proclaimed Traitor in 1202, and all his Revenues in England seized into the King's Hands, and granted the same Year to JOHN MARSHALL Nephew to William, who married Isabell Daughter and Heiress of Richard Strongbox Earl of Pembrook, and Marshal of England [b] and was called the Old Marshal Earl of Pembrook, this John married Alice Daughter and Coheir of Hubert de Rhye, Baron of Rhye in Norfolk, who in 1204, gave the King three Palfreys to have the Livery of the Lands and Advowsons which were HUGH GOURNAY'S and HUGH DE AYER'S, and of Cantley and Caster: in the year 1207, he had a Grant of the Marshalship of Ireland, and in 1210, had a further Confirmation of the Manor of Hingham and the Hundred of Forehoe to cut off all Claim that the Heirs of Cardo de Freshavil could make. In 1211, when the King's Scutage was raised, it appeared that the Barony of Rhye contained 35 Knights Fees, and that upon the Death of Hubert de Rhye the last Baron, it went to his two Daughters, Alice married to John Marshal, and Isabell to Roger de Cressi, and each of their Husbands answered for 17 Fees and an half; but this Town and the Barony went to Marshal, 'tho now half the Fees were gone from it; and he was to hold the Hundred, Manor and Advowson, as the head of his Barony at one Fee, and at the same Time, he obtained the liberty of Free-Warren in those 17 Fees and half, which now constituted the Barony: In 1215, he was Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk with John Fitz Robert, and had the Custody of Norwich Castle. [c] Le Neve says he died in 1234, leaving

JOHN his Son and Heir, who had Livery of Hingham, Folsham, &c. the same Year, he died in 1242, having enjoyed the whole Barony of Rhye, Isabel the other Daughter of Hubert de Rye, being dead without issue by Roger de Cressi her Husband; and this Year the King having raised a Tallage upon all the Demeans of the Crown in his own Hands. granted Writs to those who held Manors of him, which formerly were antient Demean, and among others to the Lord of this Manor, to levy a reasonable Tallage of his Men, as also to John Lovell for his Manor of Dockyng &c. he was succeeded by

WILLIAM LE MARSHALL his Brother, who this Year paid his relief, and had Livery of his Brothers possessions, except that part which Avelina, Aliva, or Alice le Marshal Daughter of Hubert de Rye held in Dower, in 1263, the King directed his Writ to the Sheriff of Norfolk and Ralf de Berri Escheator, to respite Aliva le Marshall's Homage, which she ought to do, as Sister and Heir to Isabell de Cressi, and to take her Fealty and Relief, on Condition that if Alice the Widow of Stephen de Cressi, Son of Isabell, be with Child, then that half Part of the Barony to descend to that Child. In 1264, William le Marshal had a Charter for a Fair here, when he was called Baron of Rhye [d] and was constituted a Guardian of the Peace in Northamptonshire, during the King's Captivity, [e] and he was one of the Barons of the Exchequer; in 1266, Alice le Marshal died, and William le Marshal also, who left

JOHN MARSHAL Baron of Rhye, their eldest son, a Minor about 10 Years old, upon which the Barony fell into the King's Hands, during his Nonage, who granted two parts of the Manor and Hundred to Jeffery de Luziniaco or Luzinian, and the third Part to John de Britannia, but in 1274, Luzanian being dead, the two parts remained in the King's Hands; but in 1279. John le Marshal being of Age, paid the King a hundred Marks, for the Relief of his Barony, and Livery of his Lands, and 'twas then found by an Inquisition, that he held

HINGHAM Manor and Advowson with Forehoe Hundred, of the Barony at one Fee,

[f] And also the Manor of BUXTON, in Capite of the said Barony, by the Service of Warding at Norwich Castle, from six Weeks to six Weeks, paying the Wayt-Fee, 20 s. per An. at 5 s. each quarter.

The Manor of SWANTON, in Chief of the said Barony, as a Member thereof,

And HOCKERING Manor was also part of the Barony and afterwards reckoned as head of it.

In 1281 he was summoned to attend the King in his Expedition into Wales, he died about 1283, leaving

WILLIAM His Son and Heir, a Minor about 3 Years old, whose Guardianship the King granted to John de Boun, who in 1286 held

BUXTON Manor of 100 l. Value, to which belonged View of Frank-Pledge, Assize of Bread and Ale, Liberty of Free-Warren, and a common Gallows.

HINGHAM Manor and Advowson with Forehoe Hundred, Value 100 l. per An. to which belonged the same Liberties, and the Hundred paid 14 s. per An. to the Exchequer

SWANTON Manor and Advowson, was held in Dower, by Hawise<, or Alice, Mother of William, and Widow of John le Marshal, and was worth 60 l. per An. to which belonged, Free-Warren, Weyf, View of Frank-Pledge, a Ducking-Stool, Assize of Bread and Ale, the Marriage of the said Hawise belonging to the King, but the Estate at her Death was to descend to her Son,

Folesham and Hokering Manors, and Folesham and Bintre Advowsons belonging to the said William.

It seems he had a younger Brother named John [g] who died a Minor, and was to have had Banham Manor, if he had out lived Hawise his Mother, but dying before her, it came to William, by whom it was given to his Uncle Sir Anselm Marshal Knt. at whose Death it reverted to William again.

After he came of Age he was possessed of all his Inheritance and was summoned to attend King Edward I. at Carlisle, to go with him into Scotland to conquer the Scots; and in 1300 was summoned to Parliament as a Baron, and subscribed the Letter written to the Pole about the Succession in Scotland, that 'twas not his Fee, and that he had no Jurisdiction in temporal Matters, he bare, as his Ancestors did,

Gul, a Fess Lozenge Or, as you may see, at fo. 241. [* re BANHAM]

In 1309. he was summoned against the Scots who had broken the Truce; he was Resident here, and wrote himself Lord of Hingham, he gave the Advowson of Buxton to the Abby of Gilbertines at Sempringham; in 1313, there being a quarrel between this William and Nicholas de Segrave, about the Marshalship, which the King in the fifth Year of his Reign granted to the said Nicholas; the King commanded them not to come armed, to the Parliament, nor no otherwise than as they used to do in King Edward I Time; he died in 1314, leaving his Estate to

JOHN LE MARSHALL his Son and Heir, who paid 100 Marks for the Relief of his Barony of Rye; in 1316, by an Inquisition then taken, it was found, that Forehoe Hundred was worth 6 l. 4 s. 4 d. and that Dionise and Hawise were his Sisters and Heirs, but Dionise being just dead, Hawise was his sole Heir, who was married to Rob de Morley, [h] this John died in 1316, and Ela his Wife, who afterwards married to Robert Fitz Pain, has this Manor assigned her in Dower, when the Fishery was worth 13 s. 4 d. per An. there was a Windmill and Watermill and Alder-carr at Northwood, and the Rents were 54 l. 15 s. pre An. he died seized of Hingham, Aldby, North-Tudenham, Hokering, Buxton, Folsham, Forehoe and Eynsford Hundreds, and the Advowsons of those Churches, Lands in Brandon, the Churches of Mateshall, Matteshall-Burgh, Brandon, Norton, and many Knights Fees, as Parcel of the Honour of Rye, in Alby, Thelvetham, Wortham, Elingham, Tunstal, Depham, Morley, Snitterton, Shropham, Newton, Brugham, Hevingham, Draitons Manor in Scarning, Barford-Franceys, Dunham, Salle, Mulkeberton, Brundal, Wroxham, Lexham, Kilverstone, Dockyng, Gayton, Chedistan and Gislingham in Suffolk, by which it appears all these were held of the Honour, and besides these he had the Marshalship, and a great Estate in Ireland, the whole of which came to

ROBERT DE MORLEY and HAWISE his Wife and their Heirs.

Sir ROBERT DE MORLEY Knt. and Hawise his Wife, Sister and Heir of John le Marshal, paid their Relief for the Barony of Rye, in the Year 1313, viz. a hundred Marks for the Barony, and a hundred Shillings for Hingham; and in 1326 he setled 8 l. Lands in Hingham, with the Manors of [i] Roydon and Sheringham, on William de Morley his Son, and Cecily Daughter of Thomas Lord Bardolph his Sons Wife, and their Heirs, and for want of Issue on Robert de Morley his Son and his Heirs Male, which Rent, William de Swaything and Thomas de Weston held for Life; in 1333, being then Marshal of Ireland, he granted Lands in Walkerne in Hertfordshire, to  William de Berry; in 1335, Ela Relict of John le Marshal was living, and then the wife of Robert Fitz Pain, [Filius Pagant] and held the Manor of Hingham in Dower, which was to go at her Death to William Son of Sir Robert de Morley Knt. which William was to have 19 l. per An. out of the Manor, because it so much exceeded her Dower, but Robert de Morley his Father was to have it for Life, by the Courtesy of England, and Sir Robert had granted it during his Life to Sir Anselm Marshal Knt. by Deed dated at Swanton Morley, where Sir Robert then resided; in 1337, Sir Robert was Lieutenant of Norfolk, and [k] in 1340, was sent to Brittany, in Company with Walter de Manny, John Bardolf, John Tiptoft, and others, and had the Wages for themselves and their Men at Arms, paid at the Exchequer, before they set Sail. [l] and at the latter end of the same Year, the King ordered him by Letter to repair to him at Newcastle upon Tyne, with 40 Men at Arms, either to go into Scotland, or stay on the Marches to hinder them invading England. In a Deed dated this Year, Sir Robert is called Couzin and Heir of Sir Robert de Montealt, formerly Steward of Chester; in 1342, Nicholas de Taterfeld, and Thomas de Wykeham, held a Messuage and 20 Acres of Land in Capite of Hingham Manor, by the Service of finding one Man at Arms, in the Retinue of the Lord of Hingham, whenever he carried his Men to the King's assistance, this was first granted by the Lord, to Sir John de Camois Knt. who sold it to Ralf de Maneby, he to Alfric Watyn, and he to William Fitte, who granted it to Taterfield and Wyrham, in 1342, Sir Robert on the Marriage of Joan his second Wife, settled Grimstone on her and Sir Peter de Tye Knt. (whose Daughter she seems to be) in Tail; [m] in 1346; the King sent him a particular Summons to transport himself and all the Men he could raise, and not staying for the shipping of his Hostes, to repair immediately to him, then lying before Calais, besieging the same, fearing least the French King should come with a great Army to raise the siege; [n] in 1347, Sir Robert was Heir to Baldwin de Manerijs, whose Arms he granted to Rob de Corby, by Deed dated Jan. 6. 22. E. III. he died in 1359, in France, and Joan his Wife became a professed Religious, but died soon after, in the same Year, and

Sir WILLIAM DE MORLEY Knt. his Son and Heir inherited, who in 1355, was one of the Attendants of Robert Earl of Suffolk, to the Kings Service is Gascoign, and had the Kings Letter of Protection on that Account. And at his Fathers Death inherited the Manors of Morley, Hingham, Hockering, Swanton, Grimstone, Buxton, the Hundreds of Forehoe and Eynesford, and the Office of Marshal of Ireland, with Roydon &c. in Norfolk, besides diverse great Estates, in other Counties, and in Ireland; in 1360, he confirmed his Fathers Donations of Lands in Bintre, Folsham, Geyst, and Geyst-Weyt, to the Prior of Walsingham, and the same Year among others had the Kings Letter, to attend Lionel the Kings Son, Earl of Ulster, into Ireland, to recover that Kingdom: This Manor was after setled by Sir William, on himself for Life, remainder to Thomas his Son and his Wife Joan, who seems for a Gournay, to be a Trustee; the Hundred of Forehoe was then under a Grant for Life to John de Herling, who obtained a Grant for Life of part of Hingham, [o] by his Will dated at Halingbury, in London Diocess March, 9. 1379, and proved the 26 of May in that Year, he order'd his Body to be buried in the [p] Austin-Friers in Norwich, leaving his Estate to

Sir THOMAS his Son and Heir, who was summoned to Parliament in 1381, and in 1384, was one of those Barons, whom the King summoned to meet him at Newcastle upon Tyne, compleatly armed, with his whole Service due from him, to accompany him into Scotland, in which Expedition Edinburgh, and many other Towns were burnt, without any Battle offer'd by the Scots, who were despoiling Cumberland, in the same manner; in 1391, he had Licence to accompany the Duke of Gloucester into Prussia; [q] in 1395, Oct. 20. there was a Cause in the Court of Chivalry, between Sir John Lovell Knt. Plaintiff, and this Sir Thomas Defendent, concerning the Arms of the Family of Morley, which they had borne for some Time, viz. Arg. a Lyon rampant Sab. crowned and armed Or. which as the Plaintiff declared in his Libel, belonged to the Lords Burnel, whose Heir he was, as he proved in the following manner. Sir Philip de Burnel Knt. Lord of Burnel, bare the said Arms, and had Issue Sir Edward Burnel Knt. who died without Issue, leaving Maud his Sister his sole Heir who married Sir John Lord Lovell, and has Sir John Lord Lovell the Plantiff; the Lord Morley pleaded that the Arms belonged to his Ancestors from the Conquest, Time out of Mind, without Impeachment, except by Nicholas Lord Burnel, at the Siege of Calais, who claimed against Sir Rob de Morley his Ancestor, to whom the Arms were adjudged by the Constable and Marshal, and after Robert's Death, his Son William bore them, and the said Thomas had born them in diverse Expeditions, with the King's Uncles, being his Lieutenants; upon this, the Plaintiff allowed, that Sentence was given for Sir Robert at Calais, but says, they were adjudged to Sir Robert for his Life only, being to revert to the Lords Lovel and Burnel and their Heirs; to which the Defendent answered, that the Judgement was then given for Sir Robert Morley who was his Grandfather, that Sir William Morley his Father always bore them, and that he himself had hitherto done so, and that his Grandfather died in Edward the III. Time, in the French Wars, and Sir William his Father was in France at the same Time with his Father, and that neither he nor his Grandfather was ever impeached for them; in the Pleadings it was argued, that the Triplication of the Plaintiff, should be admitted this Time, but not for the future, in any other Cause, it being contrary to the Custom of the Court, and it was ordered that none but Lords, Knights, Esquires of Honour and Gentlemen having knowledge of Arms, should be admitted as Witnesses, and no other Commoners, and all to be sworn, except the Dukes of Lancaster, York, Gloucester, and the Earl of Derby; they had full Liberty to make Proofs by Deeds, Chronicles, Monuments, Witnesses of Abbots, Priors, and other Men of Holy Church, and other Honourable Persons that knew their Ancestors. Sir Walter Bleut Knt. was Lovell's first Witness, who swore positively that the Arms belonged to the Lords Burnel and their right Heirs, that he remember'd Sir Michael Burnel challenged them from Sir Robert de Morley at the Battle and Siege of Calais, in the Church of St. Peter by that Town, when King Edward III. took the Cause into his own Hands, and the Arms were adjudged by William de Bohun Earl of Northampton Constable, and the Earl of Warwick Marshal, to Sir Robert Morley only for his Life, for his valiant Deeds performed, and his Heirs and Kindred excluded from bearing thereof, they being to belong to the Lord Burnel afterwards. Sir Rolf de Theyne Knt. aged 47, who had born Arms 30 Years, swears the same, and that he was present in the great Inroad in France, towards Orleans, with Edward III. where Sir Robert Morley likewise was, and in which he dyed, and at his Death ordered his Banner to be delivered to the Heirs of the Lord Burnel as belonging to them; Robert Cobb, Esq. aged 60, and had borne Arms 50 Years sware the same, and that he had been in 7 mortal Battles, and that Sir John Sully, Sir Thomas Hokefield, the Bishop of Durham, Thomas Duke of Lancaster, and many others, were present at the Judgement at Calais.

John Moleham Esq. aged 70, having bore Arms 44 Years, swore the same, and that he was Servant to Sir Will: Bohun Ear of Northampton, and Constable of England, at the Siege of Calais, and that he was assigned Clerk for the Court of Chivalry, for the Constable, that he was present when Sir Nich. Burnel petitioned the Constable, and Sir Tho. Beauchamp, then Marshal of England, and challenged the Arms of Sir Robert Morley, and there were no less than 20 Witnesses that proved the same; besides this, the Plaintiff produced several old Shields, Banners, Paintings on Walls and Glass, about the Conventual Church, and House of the Friers Austins under Candich by Oxford, as belonging to Sir Philip Burnel, buried there. Sir Tho, Blount, the elder of Oxfordshire aged 64, having born Arms 50 Years, in England, France, and Scotland, swore to the Right of Arms of Brunel, and says particularly, that he was with King Edward III. at the Battle of La Hoge, where he heard that Lord Burnel, challenged the Arms of Sir Robert Morley, then being in a Coat of those Arms, at which Time there were several other Challenges of Arms, but the Kind considering the great Mischiefs which might arise from such Challenges, commanded the Constable and Marshal to make Proclamation, that all Challenges should cease, 'till the King should come to a Place where they might be determined, and after the Battle of Cressi, the King came to besiege Calais, when Sir Tho. Blount was wounded in the Knee, afore Tiroven, and was forced to keep his Bed in his Tent, where Sir Tho. West came to him, and told him that the Arms were adjudged by the King's Command, with the Assent of the Lord Burnel, by the Constable and Marshal, to belong to Sir Robert for his Life only, for the Honour he had done those Arms, remainder to the Lord Burnel's Heirs. Will. Wollaston Esq: aged 96 Years, was in Arms, first at the Battle of Strivelin in Scotland, where he saw Sir Edward late Lord Burnel bear those Arms, as also in France and Brittany. Rich. Bruns Esq: swares the same as the Former, but adds that Maud Burnel after the Death of her first Husband John Lord Lovell, married one Sir John Hadlo Knt. and had by him Sir Nicholas, who was called Sir Nicholas de Burnel, on whom his Mother Maud settled all she could. Fryer Alex. Kyngham, of the Conventual Church of St. Austin, of Candich by Oxford, sware that he took the Paintings on the Church Walls, and in the Glass, to be the Arms of Sir Philip Burnel, who was reputed one of their Founders, and was buried in their Quire. Sir Inch. Stratford, Canon of Olney, having his Abbots Licence, deposed that Sir Rob. Burnel, was buried in their Church, and that his Banner of these Arms hung up there. Sir Hugh Camois Knt. swares the Arms belong to Burnel, for that he as at a town called BURNELL in Normandy, where he saw these Arms round the tombs of the Lords Burnel, that he lived with Dame Alayn Widow of Sir Edw. Burnel, Son and Heir of Sir Philip Burnel, and that if any Person hath a Right to many Arms for diverse Causes, he may use and leave out others, and yet not renounce the Arms he leaves out, and that this was the Custom and Right of Arms. Edw, Acton Esq. swares that Sir Edward Son and Heir of Sir Philip Burnel, lies buried in the Abby of Blidewas in Shropshire, with the Arms in Question, and that the Arms cannot be aliened according tot he Law of Arms. Ralf de Chinebury Esq. deposed, that the Manors of Sparkeford, Upton, and Cheriton in Somersetshire, Enham in Hampshire, 500 l. Rent in Nantwich and the Manor of Capenhale in Cheshire, came to the Lord Lovell, by the Match with Maud Burnel: The Defendant on the other Side produced divers Grants, Deeds, &c. with the Seals of a Lyon Rampant on a Shield, affixed thereto, and in particular the Deed of Sir Matthew de Morley, mentioned at fo. 27, [*re: ROYDON] but none of them had a Crown upon the Lyons Head, and indeed 'tis certain that the most antient Arms of Morley are Arg. a Lyon rampant Sab. sometimes double quevee, or double rail'd, and are the Arms of Roger de Cressi, assumed by the Morley's, as I have observed at fo. 30, [*re: ROYDON] but notwithstanding this, the Morley's having used them so long, and without Claim at the Death of Sir Robert, according to the Judgement at Calais, Sir Thomas and his Generation ever after used the Arms contended for, and the Burnel's generally used the same with the Distinction of a Bordure Az. In 1396, the Men of HINGHAM were discharged from paying Toll, as Tenants in antient Demean, [r] in 1402 in the Close Rolls, this Sir Thomas's Will is inrolled, upon the Marriage of Robert his Son and Heir, with Isabell Daughter of Michael de la Pole, Earl of Suffolk, by which he setled the Manor of Swanton-Morley on them and their Heirs, and ordered his Feoffees to settle all his Manors, except Buxton, Hingham, and Forehoe Hundred, (which they were to retain to pay his Debts) on his Son and his Heirs, and after the Debts were paid, they were to be conveyed to him also; in 1402, this Thomas was found by Inquisition then taken, to hold the Manors of Hingham, Morley, Swanton, Buxton, Hockering, and Aldby, with the Hundreds of Forehoe and Eynsford in Norfolk, Great-Halingbury in Essex, Walkerne in Hertfordshire, and Aslakby in Lincolnshire, by the Service of the third Part of the Barony of Rye, but he and his Ancestors, were always to pay 100 Marks Releif for the whole Barony, they having undertaken upon diverse Alienations, to Answer the whole.

This Sir ROBERT MORLEY Knt. died before his Father Sir Thomas, and Isabell survived him, for in 1405, by the Name of Isabell Widow of Sir Robert Morley, Knt. Sir Philip la Vache Knt. her Relation, on her behalf sealed the Marriage Articles, with Rich. Berners Esq; who setled on her diverse Manors in Essex as her Jointure. In 1407, Thomas Lord Morley Knt. was a great Friend to Sir Edward Hastyngs Knt. his Neighbour, being Pledge for him in the Cause between him, and the Lord Reginald Grey of Ruthyn, in the Court of Chivalrie, where he was Witness for him, being then 60 Years old, he swore that he knew Sir Edward's Father and Grandfather, and that the Countess of Pembrook last deceased, told him at Framlingham Castle, that John Hastyngs, Brother of Sir Hugh, Father of Edward the Defendant, came to that Place, and the Countess declared, that Sir Hugh Hastyngs, the Valiant Knight, was her Son's Heir, and that he, and Sir Hugh, the Defendant's Father, in King Edward III. Time, were, at the Relief of Rochell, where he bore the Hastyng's Coat with the Label, and at the Voiage for the Relief of Brest, of St. Malos del Isle, the Earl of Bukingham's Journey into France, the Voyage into Scotland by King Richard II. that he heard John Maperley, in the Presence of John Burlingham Parson of Roydon say, that Sir Edward's Evidences were burnt, and that Bribery was used to procure Inquisition for Grey, in Notinghamshire, the Sheriff receiving 10 l. and that this was done in hopes that by Reason of the short Lives of the Hastyng's Family, he might come to be Heir to the Earl of Pembrook; and Thomas Lucas, of East-Dereham, swore in the same Cause, that ( Robert ) the Son of the Lord Morley, who died in his Fathers Life-Time, was buried in the Frier's Austin's Church in Norwich, and had his Father's Arms with a Label of 3 Points on his Sepulchre, as a Proof that their Heir apparent always bears the Label; In 1408, he procured as Exemplification of the Grant of the Office of Marshal of Ireland, made by King John, to John le Mareschal and his Heirs, in 1412, he resided at his Manor of Alby, and licensed Thomas Fouldon of Welboune, to inclose Lands in his Hundred of Forehoe; in 1414 he obtained a Writ under the King's Seal, directed to the Major, Sheriffs, and other Officers of the City of Norwich, telling them that Hingham and Foulsham, were antient Demean, and that the Tenants by Vertue therof, were excused paying Toll in all England, and therefore he commanded them,. that they should demand no Toll of any of the Tenants in Hingham or Foulsham, for any Goods bought or sold in their City, nor disturb any of them on that Account. This is entred in an antient Court Book of Mayorality, begun in 3 H. 5. This Thomas Lord Morley was summoned to Parliament from 1381, 5 R. 2. to 4 H. 5. 1415, in which Year he died, on the 15th of September, after he had escaped all the Dangers of the Sea Fight, before Harflew, where he behaved with great Courage: and coming to K. H. 5. at Calais, after 10 Days sickness of a Flux and high Fever, he died there, and was buried at St. Maries Church at Calais, the King of England, and Sigismond the Emperor, being at his solemn Exequies. Anne his second Wife Daughter of Edward Lord Dispenser, and Widow of Sir Hugh Hastyngs of Elsing, and Gressenhall, Knt. survived him, and died seized of the Manor of Clopton and Blaxhall, in Suffolk, about 1426. At his Death, his Estate went to his Grandson,

Sir THOMAS Lord Morley, Baron of Rye, and Marshal of Ireland, then 23 Years of age: In 1414, he was retained to serve H. V. in his French Wars, and was to be at Dover May 23, with 10 Men at Arms, and 30 Archers on Horseback, and was to be paid a Quarters Wages down in English Gold, or other Money currant in France, by the Treasurer at War there, and on May 1 1420, he covenanted with the King to have all the Prisoners he and his Men could take, except Kings, Princes, Kings Sons, and especially Charles, who called himself Dauphiæ de Vienne, and other great Captains of Royal Blood, and other Captains and Lieutenants under the said Charles, except also all those who murdered the Duke of Burgoyne. The Seal, to this Indenture are the Arms of Morley, but the Lyon is not crowned, the Crest is a Bears Head muzzled, the Circumscription'

"Sigillum Thome Morley Marescalli Hibernie."

He lived 'till 14 H. VI. 1435, and then died seized jointly with Isabell his Wife, of the whole Estate, and was buried in the Chancel of Hingham, under a Noble Monument against the North-Wall, which still remains, the said Isabell his Wife being buried by him, as is before observed. At his Death,

ROBERT Lord Morley his Son was 16 Years old, who in 1440, confirmed to Isabell his Mother all her Right in this Manor and Advowson, and the Fishery called Semere, in the Manors and Advowsons of Alby, Hockering, Foulsham, Swanton, Morley, and Eynsford and Forehoe Hundreds, with the Advowsons of Brandon-Parva, Bintre, Mateshall-Burgh, and Hadesco-Thorp. This Robert died in 1442, Elizabeth Daughter of William Ros his Wife, survived him, by whom he had only one Daughter and Heiress, then forty Weeks old named,

ALIANORA or Eleanor, who inherited his whole Estate, Elizabeth her mother holding her Dower for Life, she afterwards married

WILLIAM, a younger Son of William Lord Lovell of Tichmersh, who in her Right became Lord Morley, and in 1466, had his Homage respited for some Time; he was possessed of the Estate, and died seized of it, July 23 1475, and Eleanor his Wife died Aug. 20, the same Year, leaving,

HENRY LOVELL Lord Morley, their Son and Heir, then 11 Years old, and in 1487, he had a special Livery to enter all his Lands, in 1489, he setled Hingham, Buxton, and Forehoe Hundred, on [s] Trustees to pay his Debts, and this very Year he was slain at Dixmue in Flanders, leaving no issue by Elizabeth his Wife, who was Daughter to John de la Pole Duke of Suffolk, for which Reason his Estate descended to

Alice, his only Sister, 21 Years old, then the Wife of

WILLIAM PARKER of London Knt. who had Possession of the Manors of Hingham, Foulsham, Hockering, Swanton, Morley, Alby, Nateshale, Buxton, North-Tudenham, the Hundreds of Eynsford and Forehoe, the Advowsons of Hingham, Swanton-Morley, Bintre, Folsham, Windel, Morley, Hockering, and Brandon in Norfolk, Holingbury Manor and Advowson in Essex, Stanlak Manor and Lands in Oxfordshire, Walkern Manor, and Chalkworth Manor and Advowson in Hertfordshire, East-Cleydon in Buckinghamshire, and 50 Marks Rent out of Shobingdon Manor in the same Shire, saving to Elizabeth Widow of Sir Henry Lovell her Dower. After the Death of Sir William Parker Knt. she re-maried to [t] Sir Edward Howard, second Son of Thomas Duke of Norfolk, and Elizabeth his Wife; he was elected Knight of the Garter, but never installed, for being Admiral of England, he was killed before Brest, April 25, 5 H. 8. This Alice at her Death, which happened about 1518, was buried in this Chancel, and by Will ordered 26 l. 13 I. 4 d. to be expended for a Gravestone to be laid over her.

HENRY PARKER, Son and Heir of Sir William Parker, and the said Alice, was first Knight of the Bath, and afterwards in 21 H 8. 1529, was summoned to Parliament by the Title of Lord Morley, Baron of Rhie, he married Alice daughter of Sir John Bletso, Knt. in 1523, 18 Aug. this Henry (who was then called Lord Morley) Edward Lee, Archdeacon of Colchester, Sir William Hussey Knt. and Thomas Wriothesley Garter, were appointed Commissioners to carry the Garter to Ferdinando Infant of Castile; in 1536, upon the Marriage of Sir Henry Parker Knt. his Son and Heir, with Grace Daughter of Heiress, of Sir Robert Newport, of Pelham in Hertfordshire, he got an Act of Parliament passed to enable himself and Wife, to setle diverse Lands and Tenements on the said Grace in Jointure: This Sir Henry the Son, had Issue by the said Grace his first Wife, Henry Lord Morley, and by

Elizabeth his second Wife, who was the sole Daughter and Heiress of Sir Philip Calthorp Knt. he had Sir Philip Parker of Arwarton Knt. whose Son Sir Calthorp Parker Knt. was Great Grandfather to the present Sir Philip Parker of Arwarton Bart. who is by lineal Descent intituled to be Lord Morley, the Issue of the first Wife failing, in Thomas Lord Morley, and Monteagle, who died in 1697. In 1547, Henry Lord Morley was possessed of Hingham with all it's Members, diverse small Manors or Free-Tenements being now purchased in, and united to the Manor. Sir Henry Parker Son and Heir to the Lord Morley, died about 1550, and about a Year after, Elizabeth his Widow married Sir William Woodhouse Knt. at the Death of Henry Lord Morley, father of the last mentioned Henry, who out-lived his Son, and died in 1556,

HENRY PARKER Knt. his Grandson inherited, who by an Inquisition taken at the Shire-House in Norwich, was found to be Lord Morley, Baron of Rhye, and Heir to the Hundreds of Forehoe and Eynsford, Hingham, Buxton, Swanton-Morley, &c. being then about 24 Years old, in 1561. Upon his Marriage with Elizabeth Daughter and Heir of Edw. Stanley Earl of Derby, he setled the Hundred of Forehoe &c. on Henry Stanley Lord Strange, her Trustee, and by the said Isabell he had

EDWARD Lord Morley, who married Elizabeth Daughter and Heir of William Stanley, Lord Monteagle in whose Right William their Son became Lord Monteagle. This Edward, was summoned to Parliament 23, Eliz, by the Name of Edward Lord Morley, Baron of Rye, and had the Manors of Hingham, Buxton, Forehoe, Mateshale, Tudenham, Folsham, Eynsford Hundred, besides others in Essex and Hertfordshire: [u] at the Death of Sir William Stanley Knt. Lord Monteagle, who died 10 Nov. 23 Eliz, at Skypton in Yorkshire, Elizabeth Wife to Edward Lord Morley Baron of Rye was found his Heir. 'twas this Edward, that divided and sold most, if not the whole of the antient Estate of the Lord Morley in this County, and this Manor, Advowson and Hundred of Forehoe, about 1583, belonged to

Sir THOMAS LOVEL of East-Herling Knt. who left it to

Sir FRANCIS LOVEL Knt. his Son and Heir, who owned it in 1620, in which Year, by Deed dated 2. April, he alienated the Manor of Hingham, Waters, Andrews, and Baconsthorp, with their Appurtenances in Hingham, Hardingham, Runhall, Barnham-Broome, East-Tudenham, Wramplignham &c. with the Hundred of Forehoe to

Sir HENRY BEDINGFIELD Knt. in Trust, who the next Year joined with the said Francis Lovell, and conveyed them absolutely to

Sir THOMAS WOODHOUSE Knt. and his Trustees, by Deed dated April 1. in whose Family they have continued ever since.

Sir JOHN WOODHOUSE of Kimberley Bart. being now Lord and Patron.

This Manor is still intituled to all the Privileges of the ancient Demesne, the chief of the lands are Freehold, and Fines and Recoveries of the Freehold Lands held of the Manor, are levied and suffered in the Court here, Fine and Recoveries at common Law are void, and have been set aside. There is a Mere called Semere, which belongs to the Lord; the Courts are held by the Insoken and Outsoken, and there were separate Juries for the several united Manors of, Baconsthorp, Waters, and Andrews, the Lete belongs to the Manor, at which the Constables and four Heywards or Messors are chosen; there is a weekly Market on Saterday, and three annual Fairs, viz. on St. Matthias's Day, Feb. 24, on St. Matthew's Day, Sept. 21, and on Whitsun-Tuesday. The Atlas fo. 308, tells us, that "this Town hath had the bad Fate to be burn'd down, but is since re-built in finer Form, and the Inhabitants suitable to the Place, are taken Notice of as a Gentile sort of People, so fashionable in their Dress, that the Town is called by the Neighbours Little-London.

ST. ANDREW'S MANOR in Hingham,

Was originally Part of the Capital Manor, granted by the Lords thereof, to the Family surnamed de HENGHAM, and most likely to that Sir Andrew de Hengham Knt. who confirmed the Gifts of his Father, and Ancestors, of Lands in Burgh, and Thurton, to Langley Abby, from whom the Manor received it's Name; he was Father of

Sir RALPH DE HINGHAM Knt. who was Justice of the King's Bench, and held that Post 16 Years, and in 1270, has 40 l. per Ann. Fee. He was Canon of the Church of St. Pauls in London, Justice Itinerant in 1271, 72, 74, &c. and was chief Commissioner for the Government of the Kingdom in the absence of Edward I, when he went into the Holy-Land, but after the King's return, he was one of the Judges that was cast out of his Place for Bribery and Corruption, being fined 7000 Marks, a prodigious Sum in those Days, which being not immediately paid, he was imprisoned, and after banished, with nine more of his Brethren, only escaping, viz. John de Metingham, and Elias de Bekingham; but after his Fine paid, he gave such Signs of true Repentance, and such Satisfaction to the Publick for his Faults, that he was made Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, 1 Edw. II. 1308, and dying in that Year, was buried under a Nich in the Wall of the North Isle of St. Pauls Cathedral, as may be seen in Mr. Dughdale's History of that Church, fo. 47, 100, 101. An Account of him we also meet with in Mr. Weever's Funeral Monuments, fo. 367, and much of him may be seen in Cronica Series, &c. at the End of Mr. Dughdale's Origines Juridiciales, from fo. 24 to 34. In 1278, he gave a House in Holme, by the Common of Rungeton, to which Parish Hulme then belonged, to the Parson of St. Mary of Rungeton, and his Successors for ever, with an Acre of Land belonging to it; in 1282, he was summoned with the other Judges to be at Salop, to advise the King about the Welsh Affairs: This Parliament was held at Acton-Burnel, as appears from Mr. Rymer Vol. 2. P. 258. it appears that Sir William de Hengham Knt. was his Uncle; in 1298, he conveyed part of Hingham Wood, which belonged to this Manor, to William Son of Sir John le Marshal by Deed, to which is fixed a Seal of a Shield, on which are five Martlets between two Chevrons 2. 2. 1. the Legend is Adam de Hingham, who had two Sons, William and Richard.

In 1280, Robert de Hingham, held this Manor by the Judge's Grant, and was presented for holding whole Knights Fee, and being of full Age and not knighted; It seems he died not long after, for

In 1296, William de Hengham, another Brother of the Judge, held it of him for Life.

In 1393, I find one Andrew de Hengham, who I take to be Son of this William, married to Amabil Daughter and Co-heir to Robert Burnel, who presented to the Church of Bathele this Year. Mr. Neve says, that in 1307, Ralf de Hingham, was summoned to attend the Coronation of Edw. II. with other Judges of the Realm, and of the King's Council. This Manor, immediately after, if not before the Judge's Death, was conveyed to the Lord of the Head Manor, and now it continues a Member of it.

There are diverse other small Manors, now included in the great Manor of Hingham cum Membris, as

BACONSTHORP, so called from Robert de Bacons-Thorpe, Lord in 1314, who then held it at half a Fee.

ROTHING-HALL, of which I find nothing more, but that it was held at the fourth Part of a Fee in 1239, by Peter de Laringsete, and seems to belong to John de Wysam, who had Free-Warren granted him here in 1327, 'twas called Rothyng, no doubt from some of it's ancient Lords.

WATERS, belonged to Will. de Calthorp, who had Free-Warren granted him here in 1270, and seems to belong to William de Blundevile, of Newton, in 1275,

WYLBY Manor, belonged to Oliver de Vaux, one of the Rebellious Barons, who held it of the Capital Manor, in 1215, 'twas seized by the King, and was after Sir Will. de Huntercomb's, in right of Alice his second Wife, whose second Son Sir Thomas inherited it in 1290, Bald. de Manerijs had Free-Warren granted him here, in 1330., Rob. de Manerijs, and Remigius Parson of Hingham, setled a Messuage, 50 Acres of Demean, the Manor &c. on John de Snitterton of Norwich, and Maud his Wife, and in 1357, Reginald de Eccles, John de Stoke of Norwich, and Alice his Wife and others, setled it on Adam de Hautboys Patron of Cockfield, &c. and then it contained two Messuages, 80 Acres of Land, 9 Acres of Meadow, three of Pasture and Wood, and 9 s. Rent. In 1413, John Wilby was Lord, from whom it took its present Name, and he it was, that conveyed it to the Morley's.

GURNEY'S MANOR,

Was part of the great Manor, granted to a younger Branch of the Family, before the Forfeiture, it continued always in the Family of that Name, residing at Barsham and Great-Elingham, in this County, (see fo. 328. [*re: GREAT ELLINGHAM]) Henry Gurney was Lord in 1572, how it passed afterwards I don't find, but in 1715, it was owned by Mr. Larwood of Norwich Merchant.

ELLINGHAM-HALL MANOR

Took its Name from it's Owners; in 1292, Ralf de Bukenham, Parson of Great-Elingham as Trustee, setled the Manor, which contained 12 Messuages, 100 Acres of Land, 6 of Meadow, 24 of Wood and Pasture, and 20 s. Rent, in Hingham, Suthbergh, Hardyngham, Rymerston, Little-Elingham, Woodrising, and Honingham, on Alex de Elingham, and Beatrice his Wife, they added to it by purchasing many Land of Roger de Brom ; it was held by half a Fee of the Earl Marshal: in 1345, Ralf de Elingham had it, and John de Snitterton held a fourth part of it of him, and in 1401, Rich. Caus held it, it being conveyed in 1383, by Robert de Ashfield and John Pyeshale, to Thomas Cause of Hockham, Father to the said Richard.

The MORLEY'S were concerned here, long before they were possessed of the Manor, Ingulph de Morle, who was a Witness to the Foundation Charter of Windham Prior, held Lands in the Head Manor, in 1198, Robert de Morlai had Lands here, and after the Head Manor went out of the Family, there was a good Estate remained in a younger branch of it, which passed with that Branch as Roydon did (see fo. 30.) to the Ratcliffs; in 1482, Rob. Morley Esq; who was buried in Hingham Church, ordered his best Horse, Sadle, and Bridle, to be led before his Body at the Day of his Burial, and to be delivered at the Church, to the Curate or his Deputy, in the Name of a Mortuary, Elizabeth his Wife and Emma his Daughter are mentioned. (Reg, Caston. fo. 223. A.)

There is a Free-School here, and N. West of the Church, about four Furlongs Distance, is a handsome Seat, built by Mr. Bullock the present Rector, and something more South, is a neat House, in which dwells Mr. John Amyas, Attorney at Law, to whose Family, I find the following Arms were granted, which he now bears, viz.

Arg. a Boars Head cooped, between 3 Cross Croslets Sab.


[g] Regr. Castorle. fo, 223.
[h] So called because the Rood or Cross always stood by it.
[i] The new Parsonage was built by the present Incumbent, and stands a little South-West of the Church.
[k] Rege. Hoyden. fo. 118 a. at the end.
[l] Browne's Posthumous Works. P. 49.
[n] From a letter of Mr. Watson's, late Rector here, Jan. 3, 1715
[o] Rege. Gyllys fo. 10.
[p] On All-Saints or Hallow-Mass Day, it was the Custom for the common Beadroll of every Church to be read, and Mass laid for all the Benefactors, whose Names were always enter'd in this Roll.
[q] Rege. Johnson fo. 239.
[r] "Testamentum &c. Nobilis Domine, Isabelle Domine de Morley, nuper de civitate Norvici vidue defunctæ et de nobili Genere procreate, et Arma Gerentis, cujus pretextu, ipsius Testamenti Probatio, Approbatio, et Insignuatio, ad dictum Reverendum Patrem, et nos, ejus Nomine, de consuetudine laudabili, legitimeque prescript: notorie dinoscuntu pertinere &c.
[s] Spelman's Icenia fo. 157.
[t] Madox's Formulare Anglic: fo. 144. ex Autog: in Cur: Augment.
[u] "Tali conditione, quod si Will: de Caisneio per se vel per Filium, poterit recuperare Moleham aliquo modo, ego et Filius meus rehabebimus hæc predicta in Dominio nostro, sicut antea habuimus, et Willus: terram suam et Castellum suum. test. Daniele Abbate de Hulmo &c.
[x]Rot. pip. 1. R. 1. Norff.[y] Testa de Nevil. per W. Mariscall: Juniorem.
[z] See fo. 30.
(a) Speed fo. 501.
(b) Brook of Nobil: P. 13.
[c] He gave Thimblethorp Church to the Canons of Walsingham
[d] Pat. 48. H. 3. M. 12. d. Rymer's Leagues, Vol. I. P. 793.
[e] Madox Hist. Excheq. P. 558.
[f] Buxton, Swanton Morley, &c. passed always with his Manor, 'till the Division of the Lord Morley's Estate.
[g] See fo. 235. [* re: BANHAM]
[j] See fo. 30. [*re: ROYDON]
[k] Rymer Vol. 5. P. 29.
[l] Claus. 15 E. 3. Par. 3. M. 9. D.
[m] Rot. Franciæ. 21. E. 3. Part 1. M. 10. Rymer Vol. 563.
[n] Mr. Neve says "this tho' done at this Time cannot be done at this Day, or have the Incorporation of the Officers of Arms, because the Queen hath delegated her Power to the Kings of Arms, who grant only to the Issue of the Body."
[o] Rege. Heydon fo. 160. b.
[p] Cecily his Wife was also buried there.
[q] From the MSS. of the Cauie. Pen. P. L. N.
[r] Rot. Claus. 4. H. 4. Mr. Neve observes this to be the second Will he found inrolled in these Rolls.
[s] Sir William Boleyn Knt. Thomas Woodhouse Senior Esq; &c.
[t] Rege. Fetteplace in Cer: Peteg: Cant. f, 18 Dug. Bar. Vol. 2. P. 272
[u] Cole's Inquisit: Vol. 5. P.449.

Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2005; links updated May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Brief history of Hingham
1793 Universal British directory and White's 1845, 1854, 1883, and Kelly's 1883 and 1937
Notice of Enclosure [GENUKI-NFK]
Hingham watermill; Mill Corner tower mill; early postmill; Deopham Road postmill" and towermill; and Hardingham Road postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Parish Register information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Hingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Local Web-site Pictures, maps, events, etc
American Connection
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page