HOCKERING is a village and parish 6 miles east from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael is in the Early English style, and was restored in 1856; it consists of chancel, nave and north aisle, and has a handsome Perpendicular tower: it is fitted with richly carved oak seats and has an elaborately carved octagonal font. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, with that of Mattishall Burgh annexed, joint gross yearly value £730, with residence and 50 acres of glebe here and 29 at Mattishall Burgh, in the gift of George Duckett Berney esq. and held since 1856, by the Rev. Michael James Anderson M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel here. The poor's and town lands produce £65 yearly, £16 of which is expended in coal and clothing. George Duckett Berney esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are barley, wheat and roots. The area is 1,931 acres; rateable value, £3,029; and the population in 1881 was 372.
POST OFFICE RECEIVING HOUSE. William Brighty.
Letters arrive from East Dereham at 8 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m.; sundays at 10.30 a.m. Mattishall is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
National School, Miss Eliza Balls, mistress
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hockering postmill, towermill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hockering archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Hockering (GENUKI-NFK)
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page