[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
HOCKERING is a village on a declivity of the Norwich road, 5 miles E. of East Dereham, and comprises in its parish, 93 houses, 420 souls, and 1,931a. 1r. 14p. of land, mostly the property of Thos. Trench Berney, Esq., the lord of the manor; but Mr. Wm. Matthews and Miss Martineau have also estates here. Here was anciently a manor and park (tithe free) belonging to the Berney family, which they held before the Conquest, and is still in possession of the head of the family, T. T. Berney, Esq., of Morton Hall. There was also a manor of the Barony of Rye ; and traces of the moat of the manor house may still be seen in Hockering wood. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Michael, has recently been restored and refitted with oak seats richly carved : the tracery of the rector's pew in the chancel is of the most elaborate description. A new organ has been erected by subscription ; and the stone font, which is octagonal, is a beautiful specimen of carving : the bowl is supported by an Abacus, ornamented with eight angels ; and the shaft has eight compartments filled with the following subjects, viz.: St. Michael standing on a dragon ; St. John having the Agnus Dei on the Bible ; St. Peter with the Keys ; St. Andrew with the cross ; St. Catherine with the wheel and sword ; St. Michael vanquishing the dragon with a cross ; the Virgin and Infant Saviour ; and St. Christopher with his staff, bearing his Saviour. Previous to its restoration, which was done at the expense of the rector, none of these figures were visible. In the chancel are two ancient coffin lids ; one of them, of Purbeck marble, is supposed to have belonged to a priest. The living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 3s. 4d., consolidated with that of Mattishall Burgh. The joint benefices were valued in 1831 at £600 per annum, and is in the patronage of Thos. T. Berney, Esq., and enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Berney, M.A., who has about 50a. of glebe. Here is a school, supported by the rector. The Poor and Town's Lands have been vested in the feoffees from an early period, and were increased by allotments at the enclosure in 1826. The property now consists of the Cock Inn, let for £40 ; also, five cottages, and 2r. 39p. of land, let for £11 10s. a year. The above was left for the repairs of the church, clerk's salary, &c., to which purpose it is applied. The Poor's land consists of about 5 acres, which is let for £14 6s. per annum : they have also one Pound out of a piece of land called Warner's Yard, and 9s. yearly out of Mowting's Charity, which is distributed in coals to the poor during winter. Post Office at Jno. C. Parkerson's : letters arrive at 10.30 a.m. and are despatched at 2.30 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hockering postmill, towermill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Hockering archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Hockering (GENUKI-NFK)
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page