HOCKWOLD-cum-WILTON, one mile north from Lakenheath station and 3½ west from Brandon station, is a village and parish formed by the union of the contiguous parishes of Hockwold and Wilton, the former lying the further west from Brandon, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich; it is not far from the navigable little Ouse, which here separates the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk, and is crossed by a suspension bridge in Lakenheath: in the parish of Hockwold is a considerable quantity of fen land. St James' church, Wilton, is in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, principally built of flint with stone dressings, and was restored in 1843: it consists of chancel, nave and tower with 6 bells, surmounted by a lofty stone spire: the chancel is divided from the nave by an ancient carved oak screen. The register dates from the year 1663. St. Peter's church, Hockwold, is a very plain building in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with square tower and 3 bells, and was completely restored in 1857; the east window is stained. The register dates from the year 1658. Hockwold is a rectory and Wilton a vicarage, joint yearly value £766, with residence and 80 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Master and fellows of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1861 by the Rev. William Wayman Hutt M.A. formerly fellow of that college, who officiates in both places, divine service being performed alternately morning and afternoon. There is a chapel for Wesleyans and one for Primitive Methodists. There are 30 acres of charity land under cultivation, worth about £40 yearly, and about 15 acres of fen land, from which the parishioners can dig turf; there is also a bequest by Mr. Adamson, a former rector, which produces £6 a year, and an annual grant of £20 provided for by a bequest of the late Mrs. Newcome. In the centre of the village is a very ancient stone cross. 15 feet in height, and resting on a circular pedestal of brickwork 4 feet high supposed to be 600 years old. Adjoining the church is Hockwold Hall, an ancient brick building, the residence of Francis d'Arcy Newcome esq. B.A., J.P. There are two manors, one owned by Francis d'Arcy Newcome esq. and the other by the Master and fellows of Caius College, Cambridge. The principal landowners are Francis d'Arcy Newcome esq. Henry Morris Upcher esq. J.P. and Caius College. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, chalk. The area is 7,309 acres; rateable value, £6,252; and the population in 1881 was 809.
POST OFFICE, Wilton. John Pettitt, receiver. Letters arrive from Brandon at 3.30 a.m. delivery at 7 a.m.; dispatched at 8.20 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Feltwell & telegraph office at Brandon. WALL BOX, Hockwold, cleared at 8.20
National School, built in 1844 for 150 children, average attendance 125; James Watson, master; Mrs. Watson, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
© Note by E.C. "Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hockwold cum Wilton Archeology [Morfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hockwold early and later postmills, Mill Lane postmill, Mill Lane smockmill and Redmoor smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hockwold lower and upper drainage mill [Jonathann Neville]
Local village site [Nigel Nudds]
More on Hockwold [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Register Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page