1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hoe

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.348.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HOE (or HOO) is a village and parish about 2 miles north from East Dereham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small building of flint, with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel and nave, with square tower and 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1733. The living is a chapelry, consolidated with the vicarage of East Dereham, joint yearly value £536 13s. 10d. with 60 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Crown, and held since 1858 by the Rev. Benjamin John Armstrong M.A., of Caius College,Cambridge, who resides at East Dereham. Gooch's Charity of 10 10s. yearly is distributed to the poor, who also have 12 acres for cutting fuel. Hoe Hall, the residence of Charles Heyhoe Wigg esq. but the property of Thomas Grounds esq. is a building of the present century, standing in well-timbered grounds. Gorgate Hall, the seat of George Willins esq. is a plain, square, brick building erected in the early part of the eighteenth century, standing in grounds of about 100 acres, which are well watered and timbered. The Rev. Henry Evans Lombe B.A., J.P. of Bylaugh park, who is lord of the manor, Thomas Grounds esq. and A. Waters esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is light mixed,some portion inclining to heavy; subsoil. gravel, clay and brick earth. The chif crops are barley, wheat and turnips. The area is 1,400 acres; rateable value £2,659; the population in 1881 was 197.


Letters through Dereham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office & savings bank

The children attend school at Dereham

 
Brandford John William
Waters Azariah, Hoe lodge
Wigg Charles Heyhoe, Hoe hall
Willins George, Gorgate hall
          COMMERCIAL.
Jarrett Hannah (Mrs.), Angel, & farmer
Norton Samuel Robert, farmer
Springall Joseph, brick & tile maker
Stammers Arthur Robert, farmer
Waters Azariah, farmer & landowner, Hoe lodge
Willins George, farmer, Gorgate hall

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page