HOE, usually called Hoo, 2 miles N.E. of East Dereham, is a parish and village with 43 houses, 223 souls, and 1,386a. 1r. 33p. of land, mostly owned by Chas. Lombe, Esq., the Dean and Chapter of Norwich, Wm. Grounds, and Maurice Thomas, Esqrs. : the former is lord of the manor. The parish is intersected by the Dereham and Fakenham Railway. The Church is a perpetual curacy, valued in the King's book at £8 13s. 4d., and consolidated with East Dereham. The Church land, 13a. 1r. 38p., is let for £20. The Poor's Allotment is 12a. and they have £4 a year from Gooch's Charity.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoe postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Hoe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hoe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Andrew Rivett & Geoff Lowe]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page