1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Holme Hale Archeology [Norfolk Jeritage Explorer]
Holme Hale postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Holme Hale smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Holme Hale [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Holme Hale

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, and Suffolk, 1937, p.203:

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HOLME HALE is a village and parish situate near the river Wissey, with a station on the Thetford and Swaffham section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 miles east-by-south from Swaffham, in the South Western division of the county, South Greenhoe hundred and petty sessional division, Swaffham rural district and county court district, Swaffham rural deanery, archdeaconry of Lynn and Norwich diocese. The church of St. Andrew is a large and ancient building of flint and stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, north porch and embattled western tower containing a clock & 6 bells: the bells were rehung in 1911, at a cost of £229, as a memorial to His Majesty King Edward VII.: the chancel is divided from the nave by a handsome 14th century rood screen of carved oak, and retains a double piscina; there is also a single one in the north aisle, and a stoup in the north porch: in 1895 a memorial window was placed at a cost of £130 to the late Capt. Henry Smith Adlington, of Holme Hale Hall (d. 1893) : on the floor of the church near the font is a small memorial brass to Sir Edmund Illeye, his wife and children: the church was restored in 1868 at a cost of about £659, and has 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value £497, including about 6 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs. H. G. Broke, and held since 1931 by the Rev. William Langhorne Johnson M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge. There is a small Methodist chapel here. The town estate, including the widows' pightle, produces £40 yearly, of which sum £2 go to widows of the parish and the rest to the church and school. The poor's allotment of 24 acres is let to poor people and the rent expended on coals, which are distributed tot he poor of the parish at Christmas. Mrs. H. G. Broke, who resides at the Hall, a modernized mansion, is lady of the manor, and the chief landowner. The rector is the lord of the rectorial manor. The soil is sand and clay, and the subsoil is chalk and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and pasture. The area is 2,635 acres of land and 7 of water; the population in 1931 was 332

Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Thetford. Necton is the nearest M. O. And T. Office

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2003; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Swaffham union
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1883
Holme Hale Archeology [Norfolk Jeritage Explorer]
Holme Hale postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Holme Hale smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Holme Hale [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page