HOLME HALE is a scattered village, on elevated ground, 5 miles E. by S. of Swaffham, its parish having 109 houses, 524 souls, and 2,547 acres of land, belonging to a number of proprietors, the largest of whom are Jonathan Farrow and Robert Farrand, Esqrs.; the latter is lord of the manor, and built a neat mansion here about 20 years ago. The Church, (St. Andrew), was commenced in the reign of Richard II, but not completed until 1435, and has a square tower and six bells. It contains two fine old brasses to Sir Edmund Illey and William Curteys. In 1826, the sexton found in the church-yard six base groats of Henry VIII. enclosed in woollen cloth, which crumbled to pieces on being touched. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £12 16s. 5d., was held with that of Neeton, by the late Chancellor Yonge, who died in 1844: but the two livings are now separated. The Rev. Hy. Milne, M.A., is patron and incumbent; has 58a. of glebe, and a yearly rent of £583, awarded in 1838, in lieu of tithes. Here is a National school. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a small chapel here; the former built in 1847. The TownLands were exchanged at the enclosure in 1804, for 41a. 3r. 31p., let for £62 18s., which is applied in repairing the Church and Earnford Bridge. The Widow'sPightle is let for £2 a year. The FuelAllotment, 21a. 3r. 33p., was awarded at the enclosure, and is let to about 30 poor parishioners, who pay at the rate of about 5s. per acre.
PostOffice at Jno. Durrant's; letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 4 p.m.
Marked * are land owners. Allcock Edw. machine owner
Bayfield Mr. Fras.
Carter Isaac, vict. Red Lion
Coble Jno. blacksmith
Durrant Jno. shopkpr.
Farrand Robt. Esq. HillHall Hudson Jas. farm bailiff
Kiddle Wm. parish clk
Milne Rev. Hy. M.A. Rectory Nelson Geo. beerhs. & miller Ollett Jno. skopkpr [sic] Parker Geo. shopkpr
Pratt Ann, National school
Regester Thos. baker
Stebons Jno. beerhouse Turnour Jno. gentleman
*Weston Wm. grocer & draper