HOLME-NEXT-RUNCTON ia a village and parish 1½ miles south-east from Watlington station and 4 miles north from Downham Market, in the Western division of the county, in Clackclose hundred, Downham union and county court district, rural deanery of Fincham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. James is a small building, with chancel, nave and square tower cpmtaomomg 3 bells: in 1861 a vestry was added: the south-east window is stained, in memory of J. R. Hughes, previously a curate here: it is in two compartments, and represengts the Death and Resurrection of Our Saviour: a stained window was added in 1867, in memory of the Rev. Canon Wray, the last rector. The register dates from the year 1562. The living is a rectory, consolidated with those of South Runcton and Wallington, joint yearly value £650, in the gift of the E. E. Peel esq. and held since 1866 by the Rev. Charles Greenwood Floyd M.A. late student of Christ Church, Oxford. The tithes are commuted at £119 yearly, with 12 acres of glebe and residence. Here is a chapel for Primitive Methodists. The charities are £9 yearly. Thomas Summers Cocks esq. is lord of the manor. Sir William H. B. ffolkes bart.M.P. Edmund Ethelstone Peel esq. amd Caius College, Cambridge, and the chief landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans &c. . The area is 1,096 acres; rateable value, £1,833; the population in 1881 was 267.
Here is a National School for children of rhe parish of Holme and South Runcton: Miss Caroline Dennis, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated March 2010.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Runcton Holme [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Runcton Holme [GENUKI-NFK]
More parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]