1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Holme-next-the-sea postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Holme archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Holme Bell-Ringers
More on Holme-next-the-Sea [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index

Norfolk - Holme-next-the-Sea

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 349-350.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HOLME-NEXT-THE-SEA is vlllage and parish 18 miles north from Lynn and 4 north-east from Hunstanon, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, Heacham rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated between Hunstanton and Thornham, of the road from Wells to Lynn, and in a richly cultivated country. the beach is fine, firm and smooth, and the coast is secured against intrusions of the sea by sand hills, called meales, and a sea wall erected about the year 1860, enclosing some 400 acres of marsh land abounding with rabbits. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a structure of flint and stone in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave (rebuilt in 1778) and vestry, and has an ancient open-arched tower at the west end, containing 5 bells; the tower, which is lofty, embattled, and adorned with four pinnacles, was erected in the reign of Henry IV. by Henry Notynham. The register dates from the year 1704. The living is a discharged vicarage held with Thornham, and the tithes were commuted in 1844 for the yearly payment of 283 to the impropriator and 170 to the vicar, who has also 26 acres of land; it is in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and Thomas L'Estrange Ewen esq. of the Rookery, Dedham, Essex, alternately, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Edward Ewen M.A. of St. Peter's College.Cambridge, who resides at Thornham. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. There are 11A. 3R. 9P. of land for the benefit of the poor, the present rent of which is 30, distributed in coals. There are five manors—viz. Hunstanton-with-Mustrels, Ringstead-with-Holme and Northall, of which Hamon L'Estrange esq. is lord, and Holme-next-the-Sea (late Holkhams and Berrys) and Hoods-in-Holme, of which Anthony Blyth esq. is lord. The chief landowners are Hamon L'Estrange and Anthony Blyth esqrs. Mr. John Nelson, Henry Nelson and James Nelson. The soil is rich and productive; the subsoil is chiefly chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips, beans and mangold-wurtzel. The area is 1,600 acres of arable and pasture land; rateab;e value, 2,501; the population in 1881 was 304.


POST OFFICE.—John Callaby, receiver. Letters are received through Lynn by mail cart, arrive at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 4.55 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Hunstanton

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; G, Whitby, Hunstanton St. Edmunds, clerk to the Board

Board School, built in 1843 at a cost of 200, for 63 children; average attendance 56; Miss Laura Grant, mistress

CARRIER TO LYNN.—George Overton. mon. & thurs
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Holme-next-the-sea postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Holme archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Holme Bell-Ringers
More on Holme-next-the-Sea [GENUKI-NFK]
Paddy's Home Page
Village Index