HOLVERSTON is a village and parish 5 miles south-east-by-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary was demolished some centuries ago, and no part of it now remains; a field a short distance from the Hall is pointed out as the site. The rectory is in two parts, united to Rockland St. Mary's and Bergh Apton. A small modus is paid in lieu of tithes in each parish. The trustees of the late Col. John Marcon are lords of the manor and chief landowners; the Earl of Rosebery owns a small portion of land. The soil is mixed; subsoil, loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 480 acresl rateable value, £693; the populaion in 1881 was 18.---Letters received through Norwich. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Brooke.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007, with minor corrections, March, 2009; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Holverston Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Holverstone [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Holverstone [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page