Honing, Norfolk - Kelly's 1883 Directory 1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Honing postmill, Honing Common postmill; and Briggate post-mill, tower-mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Honing archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Honing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Honing

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 352.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

HONING is a village and parish, with a station on the Eastern and Midlands railway from Yarmouth to Lynn, 2½ miles from Worstead station, on the North Walsham branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 4 south-east from North Walsham, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, on the navigable Ant, which is connected with the Dilham and North Walsham canal. The church of SS. Peter and Paul was rebuilt in flint about 1795 (with the exception of the embattled tower), and stands most conspicuously on a height: it consists of chancel, nave and south porch, and tower in which there are 5 bells. The register dates from the year 1630. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Dilham, joint yearly value £308, with 19 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich amd held since 1872 by the Rev. John Alfred Laurence B.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Honing Hall, built in 1748, and enlarged in 1871, is a fine mansion of brick, situated in a park of about 60 acres: it is the seat of Edward George Cubitt esq J.P. lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light sandy; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and turnips. The area is 1,400 acres; rateable value, £2,242; and the population in 1881 was 321.


Letters through Norwich viā Smallburgh. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Worstead

National School, Miss Jane Forder, mistress

Railway Station (Eastern & Midlands), James Gale, station master

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, March, 2009; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Honing postmill, Honing Common postmill; and Briggate post-mill, tower-mill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Honing archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Honing [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page