1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Honingham watermill, postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Honingham Archeology [Norfolk Jeritage Explorer]
More on Honingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Honingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 352-353.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HONINGHAM is a village parish 8 miles from East Dereham, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Forehoe, St. Faith's union, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew, 1 mile east of the villlage, is a flint building in the Perpendicular style, with square tower contaiing 5 bells: it has chancel, nave and a porch on the south side and an organ presented by Lady Bayning: the fifth bell was presented to the church in 1878 by the Rev. W. C. Ward. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of East Tuddenham annexed: it is in the gift of Lady Bayning; the vicarial tithes were commuted in 1840 at 210, and the lay impropriator's at 543, joint gross yearly tithe rent charge 655, with 102 acres of glebe and house at East Tuddenham and 1 acre here; it is held by the Rev. John Robert Feilden M.A. Christ Church, Oxford, who succeeded the late Rev. T. L. Fellowes in December 1881; the Rev. Hugh Fuller-Maitland M.A. curate. A charity, producing 1 11s. 6d. yearly, is for bread. Lady Bayning, who is lady of the manor and sole landowner, resides at the Hall, a fine old mansion in a well-wooded park of 57 acres. The soil varies from a stiff clay to a blowing sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 2.563 acres; rateable value, 3.453; the population in 1881 was 330.


POST OFFICE—William Doubleday, receiver. Letters from London & all parts are received at 6 a.m. from Norwich; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Mattishall

The National school is in the adjoiing parish of East Tuddenham, where the children of both parishes are educated

CARRIERS:—

© Transcribed by E.C.("Paddy") Apling, May 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Honingham watermill, postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Honingham Archeology [Norfolk Jeritage Explorer]
More on Honingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page