HONINGHAM, a pleasant and well-built village on the East Dereham road, 8 miles W. by N. of Norwich, is in St. Faith's Union ; and has 68 houses, 332 souls, and 2,563 acres of land, all the property of the Rt. Hon. and Rev. Lord Bayning, who is lord of the manor, patron, and incumbent of the vicarage, and resides at Honingham Hall, a fine old mansion in the Elizabethan style, situated in an extensive and well-wooded park. It was erected (except the south front,) by Lord Chief Justice Richardson, and afterwards became the property of the Hon. Wm. Townshend, fourth son of Viscount Townshend, who married the heiress of Lord Powlett. His son Charles was created Baron Bayning, of Foxley, in 1797, and was for many years ambassador to the Court of Spain. He died in 1819, and was succeeded by his eldest son, Charles, who died in 1823, when his brother, the present lord, succeeded. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is situated about a mile east of the village ; and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £503, with that of East Tuddenham annexed to it. The tithes were commuted in 1840 for £207 6s. per annum. The National school for this and East Tuddenham is situated in the latter parish. The Poor's Land, 19a., with seven cottages upon it, was sold some years ago, and the money applied with the poor rates. T. Roger Du Quesne charged his estate here with the yearly payment of 30s. to the poor, 10s. to the clerk, and 10s. for religious books. Post Office at Wm. Doubleday's ; letters arrive at 10.30 a.m., and are despatched at 4 30 p.m.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April, 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Honingham watermill, postmill and towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Honingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Honingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page