Honington, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Honington [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Honington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.908.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

HONINGTON is a parish and village on an affluent of the Little Ouse, 3 miles north-west from Ixworth, 9 north-east from Bury St, Edmunds and 5 south-east from Barnham railway station in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Blackbourn, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of All Saints is a flint building in the Norman and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave, large and handsome south porch, vestry and square western Perpendicular tower containing 3 bells. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, yearly value £335, with residence and 13 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1875 by the Rev. William Marsden Hind LL.D. of Trinity College, Dublin. The Wesleyans and Primitive have chapels here. Here are three charities: the unknown donor's consists of 7A 2R. of land in the parish of Stanton: the Bishop of Lincoln's consist of 18 A. of land in the parish of Ixworth: and the fuel allotment consists of 21A. 0R. 37P. of land in this parish, the produce of which is expended in bread and coals for the poor. Honington was the birth-place of Robert Bloomfield, the poet in 1796. The Duke of Grafton K.G., C.B.who is lord of the manor, and Colonel Probert and G. Gates esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 1,204 acres; rateable value £1,954; the population in 1881 was 308.


POST OFFICE.—Thomas Tipple, receiver. Letters arrive from Bury St. Edmunds by messenger from Ixworth at 7.45a.m.; dispatched at 5.30 p.m.. week days & at 11.0 a.m. on sundays. Ixworth is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Here is a mixed school, at which children from Ixworth Thorpe also attend, & it is supported by voluntary contributions; Miss Sarah Wycroft, mistress

CARRIERS TO BURY ST. EDMUNDS.—John Calver & Charles Addison, wednesday & saturday

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Honington [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page