[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
HOPTON (near Lowestoft) is a parish apparently on the sea-coast, but actually separated therefrom by a small strip in the parish of Corton which joins Gorleston 5 miles south from Yarmouth, 5 north from Lowestoft, in the Eastern division of the county, Mutford and Lothingland incorporation and hundred, Yarmouth county court district, rural deanery of Lothingland, archdeaconry of Suffolk anddiocese of Norwich. The church of St. Margaret was destroyed by fire in February 1865, and is in ruins, having only the tower, which is still used as a mortuary chapel, and the bare walls left standing; a new church, also named St. Margaret, was erected in 1866 at a cost of £3,472 6s. raised by subscriptions, aided by the Church Building Society: it is a cruciform edifice in the Early English style of flint with whitestone dressings: it consists of chancel, nave and transept, and lower square central tower with embattled octagon top containing one bell: the interior is of white brick amd stone with red brick decorations, it has encaustic tile flooring, a good organ, handsome stone pulpit and lectern: in the west end is a stained memorial window, to Admiral Plumridge, late of this parish: the east window was inserted in memory of Mr. J. H. Orde, and is by Morris, from a drawing by Burne Jones, and there is a south window by the same artist in memory of Sir Thomas Troubridge bart. and Lady Troubridge: by an order in Council of July 28th, 1883, the new church became the parish church in lieu of the old one. The register dates from the year 1675. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £250, with residence and 4 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Norwich and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Simonds Müller M.A. of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans have a small chapel, about half a mile from the village. The charities amount to £6 yearly. Hopton Hall, the seat of Mrs. Frederick Somes, is a handsome modern mansion of white brick, with a Coringthian portico, situated in a small but finely-wooded park. R. H. Reeve esq. of Lowestoft is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are The Misses Crabtree, and Mrs. J. Gunton, the trustees of the late Admiral Sir J. Plumridge, H. H. Gambling, Thomas More, Ernest Fowler, John Brett and Charles S. Orde esqrs. The soil is smixed and common land; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The area is 1,267 acres; rateable value, £2,528; the population im 1881 was 320.
POST OFFICE Mrs. Elizabeth Wilson, received. Letters arrive from Yarmouth at 8 a.m. & dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Gorleston is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
Parochial School, Miss Fanny Rice, mistress
More on Hopton [GENUKI-SFK]
Heritage Summary for Hopton-on-Sea [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page