Hopton (near Ixworth), Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Hopton [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Hopton

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.909

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

HOPTON (near Ixworth) is a parish, situate on the borders of Norfolk, on the Little Ouse, 7 miles north-north-east from Ixworth, 9 miles east from Thetford.htm and 6½ south from Harling Road railway station, in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Blackbourn, archdeaconry of Sudbury and diocese of Ely. The church of All Saints is an ancient structure, of mixed styles, and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, and square tower containing 6 bells: in the chancel is some handsome mosaic pavement: there is also a marble monument to Thomas Raymond esq, first sole keeper of the papers of state to King Charles II, who died A.D. 1680: in 1879 the interior was thoroughly restored, decorsated and re-seated with open benches at a cost of £900. The register dates from the year 1634. The living is a discharged rectory; the tithes are commuted at £270, with £50 from the tithes of Thelnetham and 32 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1873 by the Rev. Henry Downton M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans, Brethren and Primitive Methedists have chapels here. Here is some fen land. Thomas Thornhill esq.M.P., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor, and William Goodrich esq. are the principal landowners. There is a reading room, which is well supplied with the current newspapers. The soil is mixed; subsoil clay and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,373 acres; rateable value £2,125; the population in 1881 was 555.


POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE& Savings Bank.—Philip Turner, receiver. Letters through Thetford, arrive at 8.0 a.m. & are dispatched at 5.30 p.m. Garboldisham is the nearest telegraph office.

A National school, with master's house, was built at a cost of £1,200 by the late rector, who also endowed it; Richard Harris, master; Mrs.Harris, mistress

CARRIERS TO:—

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Hopton [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page