Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Horning postmill, Horning steam mill and Horning Mill Loke postmill;
       Horning Neave's drainage mill, St. Benet's Abbey drainage towermill; and St. Benet's level drainage towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Horning archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Horning [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Horning

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 353.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HORNING is a parish and village, situated by the sid eof the navigable river Bure, 10 miles north-east from Norwich and 3 east from Wroxham station, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The vilage consists of two streets, long and irregularly formed, nearly surrounded by fen or marsh land, where numerous windmills are continuously employed in pumping the water from the low lands, which, at certain seasons, are completely inundated. The church of St. Benet, seated on a hilly meadow, a mile south-east of the village, is an old building, consising of nave and aisles, with lofty square tower, and was restored in 1874 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: at the eastern end is a handsome mural monument to the Rev. Anthony Barwick, vicar here for 56 years. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 275, inclusive of a grant by the Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty of 16 yearly, and of 42 acres of glebve, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1855 by the Rev. Augustus Pyne M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who has a well-built vicarage. The fuel allotment of 30 acres, produces 14 yearly. At Cowholm, in this parish, are the ruins of the Great Abbey of St. Benet's-at-Holm, founded in 1020 by King Cnut the Great, for Black Benedictine monks: this abbey, being strongly fortified, held out for some time against William the Norman; the abbot was mitred: the dignity is ow united to the see of Norwich, of which the prelate is Bishop of Norwich and Abbot of St. Benet's-at-Holm. The principal landowners are the Ecclesiastocal Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, The soil is very rich; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,567 acres; rateable vaue, 3,648; the populaton in 1881 was 435.


POST OFFICE.—Frederick Bane, sub-postmaster. Letters through Norwich, arrive at 7.35 a.m. & are dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Ludham & telegraph office at Wroxham

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873; A. Coban, clerk to the Board

Board School, built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in 1876 at a cost of 1,040 for 80 children; average attendance, 60; Miss Susan McKenna, mistress
 

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
Horning postmill, Horning steam mill and Horning Mill Loke postmill;
       Horning Neave's drainage mill, St. Benet's Abbey drainage towermill; and St. Benet's level drainage towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Horning archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Horning [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]