Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead hundred
Smallburgh union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
Horning postmill, Horning steam mill and Horning Mill Loke postmill;
       Horning Neave's drainage mill, St. Benet's Abbey drainage towermill; and St. Benet's level drainage towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Horning archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Horning [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Horning

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 544-545

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002.]

HORNING is a straggling village and parish, 9 miles N.E. of Norwich, with 466 inhabitants, 114 houses, 951 acres, 3 roods, 17 perches of arable land, and 1,571 acres, 3 roods, 23 perches of fertile marshes, lying between the rivers Bure and Ant. Over the former is a ferry to Woodbastwick. The Bishop of Norwich owns the greater part of the soil, and is lord of the manor, appropriator of the great tithes, and patron of the Church, but the tithes are leased to Wm. Heath, Esq., who has an estate and neat mansion here (now unoccupied,) and to Wm. and Geo. Jay, Esqrs. The village is in two divisions, called Upper and Lower Streets, and has several good houses, and on the Bure are convenient Wharfs or Staiths. A Fair is held on the third Thursday in July The celebrated ABBEY OF St. BENNET'S AT HOLME, stood in this parish on the north side of the Bure, in a fenny place called Cowholm. It was founded by King Canute, in 1020, for black monks of the order of St. Benedict, and so strongly fortified that it held out against the attacks of the Norman Conqueror till betrayed by one of the monks, who was induced to this treachery by a promise of being made Abbot, which was done ; but immediately after receiving the mitre, he was hanged as a traitor. In the 26th of Henry VIII its revenues were valued at £677 9s. 8d.; and in the following year Wm. Rugge or Reppes, was translated to the see of Norwich together with the revenues of the Abbey. The Abbacy is still annexed to the bishopric, and he is the only abbot in England being styled in legal documents "Byshop of Norwich and Abbot of St. Benedict," or St. Bennet's Holm. The walls that surround the abbey enclosed an area of 36a. ; part of their foundations may still be traced ; but there are no remains of the stately abbey except the chapel, converted into a barn, and part of a magnificent gateway. The abbots had their country seat at Ludham Hall. The parish Church, dedicated to St. Benedict, has a square tower and one bell, and the living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the King's book at £8, augmented with £800 Queen Anne's Bounty, vested in 31a. of land, besides which, there are 6a. 2p. of old glebe. The vicarial tithes were commuted in 1841, for £175 14s. The Bishop of Norwich is patron, and the Rev. Chas. Carver, M.A., incumbent. The vicarage house was rebuilt about 32 years ago. The Church land, 4a. 3r. 19p. is let for £9 19s. 10d. The produce of the Poor's allotment, 30a. 1r. 33p. is given away in coals. The poor have also 5s. a year, left by Daniel Morley, in 1727, out of land at Tunstead.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, September 2002; links updated February 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Tunstead hundred
Smallburgh union
Norwich county court
Kelly's 1883
Horning postmill, Horning steam mill and Horning Mill Loke postmill;
       Horning Neave's drainage mill, St. Benet's Abbey drainage towermill; and St. Benet's level drainage towermill [Jonathan Neville]
Horning archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Local web-site
More on Horning [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]