HORNINGTOFT is a scattered village and parish, about 5 miles south-by-east from Fakenham and 3 north-east from Elmham station, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford & Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Edmund is an ancient flint building, in the Early English style, and the tower fell in 1796 and has not been rebuilt. The register dates from the year 1541. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Whissonsett; joint yearly value £714, with 90 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Captain Lane and held since 1865 by the Rev. Francis Charles de Lona Lane M.A. Cantuar, who resides at Whissonsett. There is a charity of about £6 a year. The principal landowners are John G. R. Davey and Matthias Phillippo esqrs. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The crops are on the usual four-course shift. The area is 1,409 acres; rateable value £2,159; the population in 1881 was 210.
Letters received through Dereham. The nearest money order office is at Whissonsett
This parish is included in Whissonsett United School Board district formed in 1876; the children attend school there
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Horningtoft postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Horningtoft Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Horningtoft [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page