1891 Census Names Index
Horsham St Faith early postmill, (later) postmill, smockmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Horsham St. Faith, 1943-1845
Local information {Broadland Council]
Archeology of Horsham St. Faith & Newton St. Faith [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Horsham St. Faiths [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Horsham St. Faith's

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 3`-355.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling]

HORSHAM ST.FAITH'S (better known as ST. FAITH'S) is a parish and head of a union, 4 miles north from Norwich station, 7 south from Aylsham and 118½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. NEWTON ST. FAITH'S is a mile further north, on the direct road to Aylsham from Norwich. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an old Gothic building of flint with stone dressings, and consists of chancel, nave, and aisles with high embattled tower and 6 bells: it was restored in 1874, at a cost of over £3,000, Miss Twining giving above £1,000, and the remainder was made up by subscription: there is a beautiful eastern stained window to the Twining family, and mediæval pulpit with painted panels; also an ancient and handsome font and screen. The register dates from the year 1620. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £101, in the gift of Viscount Ranelagh, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Josiah Descarrieres Ballance M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of and resides at Horsford. A parsonage house was erected in 1866, at an expense of £1,000, towards which Miss Twining and friends of London (formerly of this parish) gave £300, and the remainder was made up by subscription, aided by a grant from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The Wesleyans have a chapel here, and also one at Newton St. Faith's. Here was a Benedictine priory, founded in 1105, and a hospital of Knights-Templars: it formerly had a market, which is obsolete. Horsehair is manufactured here. Viscount Ranelagh is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil marl and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area, including Newton St. Faith's, is 2,340 acres; rateable value £5,254; and the population in 1881 was 1,082.

____

POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE & Savings Bank.—Thomas Fox, receiver. Letters arrive by mail from Norwich at 4.30 a.m.; dispatched at 6 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENT.—Norwich Union Fire, S. J. S. Carman, Lower Close, Norwich

ST. FAITH'S UNION.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2005; links updated February 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
Horsham St Faith early postmill, (later) postmill, smockmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
USAF Horsham St. Faith, 1943-1845
Local information {Broadland Council]
Archeology of Horsham St. Faith & Newton St. Faith [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Horsham St. Faiths [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page