HORSTEAD-cum-STANNINGHALL form a parish; the former is a village on the bank of the navigable Bure, 6 miles north-by-east from Norwich and half a mile from Coltishall station; the latter, 2 miles south from Horstead and consists of one farm only: in the Southern division of the county, Taverham hundred, St. Faith's union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Taverham and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints has been rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, at a cost of upwards of £2,000: the old fabric contained no interesting features of any kind, it having been much mutilated and destroyed in the eighteenth century: the present church is a structure of flint, in the Decorated style, and consists of a chancel and south chapel, nave and south aisle, south porch and old west tower; the roofs are of open timber work, massive and rich in detail: the arches and windows are of stone, and the passages are paved with encaustic tiles: the benching is simple but very comfortable in design, and the prayer desk &c. are of carved oak: the roofs are covered with lead and tiles and the church is warmed by a underground stove: the whole has been executed from the designs and under the superintendence of Mr. R. Makilwaine Phipson F.S.A. architect. The register dates from the year 1588. The living is a rectory, yearly value $590, with house, in the gift of the Provost and fellows of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Russell Day M.A. late fellow of that college and Craven University scholar, formerly assistant master of Eton. In Stanninghall are the ruins of a church, which fell into decay in the time of Queen Elizabeth. The Hall, erected in 1835, is a handsome building, in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated in a dale on the river Bure: it is the seat of Edward Birkbeck esq. M.P., D.L., J.P. Heggatt Hall, a very fine old Elizabethan building, about a mile from the village, close to Haggard, or Heggatt Street, is the property of R. H. Blake-Humfrey esq. J.P. and occupied by Capt. R. Blaine R.N. The Provost and fellows of King's College, Cambridge are lords of the manor; there is also a sub-manor. R. H. Blake-Humfrey esq. J.P. Edward Birkbeck esq. M.P. Vice-Admiral Corbett C.B. Wm. Trafford esq and Lieut.-Col. Stracey Clitherow are the chief landowners. The soil is sand and gravel; subsoil, marl. The chief crop are wheat, turnips and barley. The area is 2,733 acres; rateable value, £3,700; and the population in 1881 was 565.
HAGGARD or HEGGATT STREET is an ancient hamlet 1 miles south-east.
Letters through Norwich viâ Coltishall & for Stanninghall viâ Crostwick. Coltishall is the nearest money order & telegraph office
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1874; Samuel Utting, Stanninghall, clerk to the Board
Board School, built in 1875 for 78 children, average attendance 53; Miss Harriett A. Mason,, mistress
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Horstead postmill and watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Archeology of Horstead with Stanninghall [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Horstead with Stanninghall [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page ra