1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Houghton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Houghton St. Giles smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Houghton St.Giles [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] information
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Houghton [Houghton-St. Giles or Houghton-in-the-Dale]

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 355.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HOUGHTON (HOUGHTON-IN-THE DALE, or HOUGHTON ST. GILES) is a parish and village 4 miles north from Fakenham and 1 miles from Walsingham station, situated on the south-east bank of a small river, in the Northern division of the county, North Greenhoe hundred, Walsingham union and county court district, rural deanery of Walsingham amd diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Giles, which was rebuilt in 1879, has a chancel, nave and low tower with 3 bells; there are 2 stained windoes and a fine old illuminated rood screen. The register dates from the year 1529. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Little or New Walsingham, gross joint yearly value 280, with residence, in the gift of Henry James Le-Warner esq. and held since 1882 by the Rev. George Ratcliffe Woodward M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Rev. Edward Fenton Elwin, of Caius College,Cambridge is the resident curate. On the side of the road to Walsingham are the ruins of a beautiful little wayside chapel or sandal house, in the Later Decorated Transition style of the 14th ccentury: it was formerly a resting-place for the pilgrims worshipping at the shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham; here they deposited their sandals and performed the rest of their journey barefoot: it is now used as a barn, but is still in fair preservation. Henry James Lee-Warner esq. D.L. is lord of the manor, principal landowner and lay impropriator. The soil is various; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 978 acres; rateable value, 1,827; the population in 1881 was 165.


Letters through New Walsingham (Railway Sub Offcie), delivery at 7 a.m. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at New Walsingham

This parish is included in the Barsham United Scool Board district, formed in 1873, & the children attend the Board School at Barsham

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, September 2008; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Houghton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Houghton St. Giles smockmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Houghton St.Giles [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett] information
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page