1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
St Mary's Church
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
More on Houghton-on-the-Hill [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Houghton-on-the-Hill

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.356

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, February 1999.]

HOUGHTON-ON-THE-HILL is a parish 4½ miles south-east from Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of South Greenhoe, union and county court district of Swaffham, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small stone building in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave and square tower containing 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1686. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of North Pickenham, joint yearly value £482, in the gift of Edward Farrer esq. and held since 1855 by the Rev. William Ewing M.A. of Lincoln College, Oxford, who resides at North Pickenham. E. A. Appelwhaite esq. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is good stiff loam, and the subsoil is chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 601 acres; rateable value, £983; and the population in 1881 was 48. — Letters from Swaffham by foot post arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. Swaffham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated January 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
St Mary's Church
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
More on Houghton-on-the-Hill [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page