HOUGHTON ON THE HILL, 4 miles S.E. of Swaffham, is a small parish, with 10 houses, 50 souls, and 600 acres of land, mostly the property of E. T. Applewhaite, Esq., and occupied by Mr. Edward P. Dodd. The Church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small edifice, with a tower and one bell. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 18s. 9d., and consolidated with North Pickenham.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2000; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
White's 1845, 1864, and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
St Mary's Church
Ancient of Days (Introduction to the ancient churches of East Lexham, Great Dunham, Houghton on the Hill and Newton By Castle Acre) [Simon Knott]
More on Houghton-on-the-Hill [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page