1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoveton St. John Belaugh postmill and Wroxham steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic Church of St. Helen [Simon Knott]
Hoveton archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Hoveton St. John [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Hoveton St. Peter
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hoveton St. John

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.356.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C.("Paddy") Apling]

HOVETON ST. JOHN is a village and parish 8 miles north-east from Norwich, near the navigable Bure, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Wroxham Junction station of the line from Aylsham with the East Norfolk railway is situated in this parish. The church of St. John is a small ancient building, having chancel and nave, with a tower of brick with 1 bell and north porch, and stands on an eminence in a field. The register dates from the year 1673. The living is a vicarage, united to that of Hoveton St. Peter, gross yearly value 307, with 2 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held sice 1881 by the Rev. John Brewster Meadows M.A. of Corpus Cjristi College, Cambridge. A vicarage house was built in 1882, by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are four almshouses, with gardens, supported by the lord of the manor. Hoveton House, the seat of Thomas Calthorpe Blofield esq. M.A. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner, is a red brick structure, wituated in an extensive and well-wooded lawn, and commands a fine view of the Great Broad Lake extending over 120 acres, close to the Bure. Hoveton Little Broad covers 88 acres. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,541 acres; rateable value, 1,955; the population in 1881 was 295.




WROXHAM POST, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE--Samuel Waters, sub-postmaster. Letters through Norwich arrive at 5.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.15 p.m. A Letter Box, in Upper street, is cleared at 4.50 p.m.; sundays, 12 noon

This parish contributes 2 members to the Wroxham School Board formed in 1875.

National Shool, Miss Alice Royal, mistress

Transcription © Copyright E.C.("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoveton St. John postmill [Jonathan Nevile]
Wroxham steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
Catholic Church of St. Helen [Simon Knott]
More on Hoveton St. John [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Hoveton St. Peter
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page