HOVETON ST.PETER is a parish of scattered houses on the Norwich road, 9 miles north-east from Norwich and 1½ north from Wroxham station, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter, which is about to be restored (1883), is small, and built of flint and stone; it consists of nave, with a thatched rood, bell-cot and 1 bell, with south porch: it is of some antiquity. and stands on the south-west side of Hoveton Park. The register dates from the year 1624. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Hoveton St. John, joint gross yearly value £307, with 2½ acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1881 by the Rev. John Brewster Meadows M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. Hoveton Hall, the property of Sir J. H. Preston bart. but occupied by John Barwell esq. is a handsome mansion, surrounded by a park of 200 acres; a small rivulet flows southward to the Bure. Sir Jacob Henry Preston bart. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 952 acres; rateable value, £1,676; and the population in 1881 was 138.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Curtis.
Letters received through Norwich. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Wroxham
Children of this parish attend the school at Hoveton St. John
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hoveton archeology [Norfolk Jeritage Explorer]
More on Hoveton St. Peter [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
and see Hoveton St. John
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page