HOWE is a village and parish 6 miles south-east from Norwich and 5 east from Swainsthorpe station, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred and Loddon & Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a small ancient building, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and round Saxon tower containig 1 bell: it was restored in 1864, at the espense of the rector and the Rev. John Holmes of Brooke; a handsome stained east window was placed in the church by the Rev. C. H. Barling of Brooke, and there is also one small stained lancet window in the chancel. The register dates from the year 1767. The living is a rectory, with that of Little Poringland annexed, tithes commuted at £356 6s, with residence and 56 acres of glebe, in the gift of Charles Wheeler esq. and held since 1871 by the Rev. Chales Henry Lipscombof Queen's College, Oxford. There is a small charity left in 1738 by the l:ady Elizabeth Hastings for the education of eight poor children. George Holmes esq, is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 757 acres; rateable value, £988; the population in 1881 was 92.
A sunday school was founded by Lady Elizabeth Hastings in 1734 & rebuilt by the present rector in 1881; the children attend on weekdays at Brooke
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Howe Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Howe [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information on Howe [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page