1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stody (& Hunworth) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hunworth watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hunworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Hunworth

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 359.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

HUNWORTH is a parish situated on the Glaven, about 2 miles south-south-west from Holt station, 2½ from Melton Constable station and 10 north-north-east from Ryburgh, in the North-Eastern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Lawrence is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, south transept, square embattled tower containing 1 bell and porch. The register dates from the year 1661. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Stody. joint yearly value £342, with residence (in this parish, built in 1850, in the Tudor style), and 27 acres of glebe here and 32 at Stody, in the gift of the Marchioness of Lothian and held since 1881 by the Rev. Hugh Scales Fullagar M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodists have a small place of worship here. Constance Marchioness of Lothian, is lady of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is light; subsoil, gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 838 acres; rateable value, £900; and the population in 1881 was 214.


Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, October 2008; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Stody (& Hunworth) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Hunworth watermill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Hunworth [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page